Grokbase Groups Pig user July 2011
I keep getting an ERROR 2044: The type BYTE cannot be collected as a Key type
I am not totally sure about the fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Search Discussions

  • Alan Gates at Jul 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm
    Can you share the script you are running that gives this error?

    Alan.
    On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Brian Adams wrote:

    I keep getting an ERROR 2044: The type BYTE cannot be collected as a Key type
    I am not totally sure about the fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Brian Adams at Jul 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm
    Well, here is part of it:
    getfrstrtdU = FOREACH frstrated GENERATE com.co.pig.GenerateRandomId() as randomid:long, GID AS globalid;
    uorder = ORDER getfrstrtdU by randomid;
    uselect = LIMIT uorder $numUsers;

    jnr = JOIN uselect BY globalid, flter BY GID PARALLEL 5;

    I assume it's happening here on the 'jnr' line because it doesn't like GID, which is a chararray.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Alan Gates
    Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:26 PM
    To: user@pig.apache.org
    Subject: Re: ERROR 2044

    Can you share the script you are running that gives this error?

    Alan.
    On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Brian Adams wrote:

    I keep getting an ERROR 2044: The type BYTE cannot be collected as a
    Key type I am not totally sure about the fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Jul 26, 2011 at 12:19 am
    Can you send along the output of "describe uselect" and "describe filter" ?

    Also -- are you sure GenerateRandomId actually returns a long?

    And, on an unrelated note, you are aware that you are looking at a potential
    bug here, where a failed or lost mapper is rerun and a different random Id
    is generated for the same element? More thorough explanation here:
    http://blog.rapleaf.com/dev/2009/08/14/using-random-numbers-in-mapreduce-is-dangerous/

    getfrstrtdU = FOREACH frstrated GENERATE com.co.pig.GenerateRandomId() as
    randomid:long, GID AS globalid;
    uorder = ORDER getfrstrtdU by randomid;
    uselect = LIMIT uorder $numUsers;

    jnr = JOIN uselect BY globalid, flter BY GID PARALLEL 5;

    I assume it's happening here on the 'jnr' line because it doesn't like GID,
    which is a chararray.

    Can you share the script you are running that gives this error?

    Alan.
    I keep getting an ERROR 2044: The type BYTE cannot be collected as a
    Key type I am not totally sure about the fix for this. Any help would be
    appreciated.

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedJul 25, '11 at 5:28p