Grokbase Groups Pig user July 2011
According to here:
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/UDFsUsingScriptingLanguages#Inline_Scripts

Inline definition of scripted UDFs is not supported, and there is a
reference to a jira issue on this feature:

However, the referenced issue is marked as Closed/Fixed.

Is this a current feature (googling I only found other references to
this feature not being supported), or should the issue be
reopened/marked won't fix?

-Mark

Search Discussions

  • Ugo jardonnet at Sep 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm
    One of the the comments says the following syntax is supported:

    DEFINE hellopig org.apache.pig.scripting.jython.JythonFunction('def
    helloworld():\n\treturn (\'Hello, World\')',
    'x:{t:(word:chararray)}');

    Didn't check myself.

    Inline definition of scripted UDFs is not supported, and there is a
    reference to a jira issue on this feature:

    However, the referenced issue is marked as Closed/Fixed.

    Is this a current feature (googling I only found other references to
    this feature not being supported), or should the issue be
    reopened/marked won't fix?

    -Mark
  • Alan Gates at Sep 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm
    IIRC inlining works in 0.9, but not in 0.8 or 0.8.1.

    Alan.
    Inline definition of scripted UDFs is not supported, and there is a
    reference to a jira issue on this feature:

    However, the referenced issue is marked as Closed/Fixed.

    Is this a current feature (googling I only found other references to
    this feature not being supported), or should the issue be
    reopened/marked won't fix?

    -Mark

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop