Grokbase Groups Pig user June 2011
Hi
So I checked out the pig version from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pig/trunk/, because the 0.8 from the website wouldn't build on my machine and I needed to build the project for my UDFs.
So now the weird thing is that I am running the same script that worked on the already the already built versions 0.7, 0.8 from the pig website on the freshly checked out one ...that I built on my machine and I get a super cool error message

Pig Stack Trace
---------------
ERROR 1200: <file /home/mojo/Documents/test.pig, line 9, column 72> mismatched input '(' expecting SEMI_COLON

org.apache.pig.impl.logicalLayer.FrontendException: ERROR 1000: Error during parsing. <file /home/mojo/Documents/test.pig, line 9, column 72> mismatched input '(' expecting SEMI_COLON
at org.apache.pig.PigServer$Graph.parseQuery(PigServer.java:1640)
at org.apache.pig.PigServer$Graph.registerQuery(PigServer.java:1583)
at org.apache.pig.PigServer.registerQuery(PigServer.java:583)
at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processPig(GruntParser.java:942)
at org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.parse(PigScriptParser.java:386)
at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:188)
at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:164)
at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt.exec(Grunt.java:81)
at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:553)
Caused by: Failed to parse: <file /home/mojo/Documents/test.pig, line 9, column 72> mismatched input '(' expecting SEMI_COLON
at org.apache.pig.parser.QueryParserDriver.parse(QueryParserDriver.java:222)
at org.apache.pig.parser.QueryParserDriver.parse(QueryParserDriver.java:164)
at org.apache.pig.PigServer$Graph.parseQuery(PigServer.java:1632)
... 9 more

Kind Regards, Marian

Search Discussions

  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Jul 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm
    Having your script would help us debug it and/or pig :).
    The parser changed in 0.9, it's possible there's an inconsistency.

    btw, not sure why you need to build your own pig for udfs -- that's
    generally not required. What error did you get building 0.8?

[...]

  • Marian Condurache at Jul 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm
    I am just learning it and I want to try to make a custom function..so the script is really easy

    file1 = LOAD '/user/mojo/input/testData' USING PigStorage(',');

    f1filter = filter file1 by status matches '"0"';

    STORE f1filter INTO '/user/mojo/output/testData' using PigStorage(',');

    And still I get

    ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt - ERROR 1200: <file ./testmypig.pig, line 1, column 58> mismatched input '(' expecting SEMI_COLON

    I think there is problem with the parser in the trunk.

    Regards, Marian

[...]

  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Jul 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    Hi Marian.

    So, for UDFs, you don't need to build your own pig -- you can just register
    a jar that has your UDF implementations. No recompilation of Pig necessary.

    As for the script, I wonder if the problem is in single-quoting double
    quotes. Does Pig still complain if you get rid of the double quotes?

[...]

  • Marian Condurache at Jul 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm
    I don't think so ...the script works on the prebuilt pig versions.
    When I try to add a class in the piggybank of the prebuilt sources and then run ant in there I still get errors..so I thought that maybe if I get a fresh pig checkout I won't have that problem.

    I don't think it is the double quotes....i removed the filter...he complains about the load..plus all the scripts tried work on the prebuilt versions.

    Regards, Marian

[...]

  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Jul 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm
    You don't need to add anything to the piggybank -- just create a class that
    extends EvalFunc (you will need pig.jar on the classpath), do your thing,
    build a jar , then call "register mything.jar" in the script.

    I think you are not sending me your whole script. When I try just the first
    two lines, I get the following error:

    grunt> file1 = LOAD '/user/dmitriy/tmp/numbers.txt' USING PigStorage(',');
    grunt> f1filter = filter file1 by status matches '"0"';
    2011-07-01 15:06:37,987 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt -
    ERROR 1025:
    <line 2, column 27> Invalid field projection. Projected field [status] does
    not exist.
    Details at logfile: /var/log/pig/pig_1309532746023.log

    (which is of course correct -- there is no schema that would tell us what
    "status" is).

    M.Condurache@bigpoint.net
    wrote:
[...]

  • Marian Condurache at Jul 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm
    Ok will we do this for the jar thank you.
    You are right sorry here it is with the schema

    file1 = LOAD '/user/mojo/input/testData' USING PigStorage(',') as (memid:int, waste, status:chararray);

    f1filter = filter file1 by status matches '"0"';

    STORE f1filter INTO '/user/mojo/output/testData' using PigStorage(',');

    Thanks, Marian

[...]

  • Jameson Li at Jul 4, 2011 at 1:52 am
    How about the pig jar lib path?
    Sometime after building my UDF, I register the new udf jar, but I had forgot
    the old udf jar remain in the $PIG_HOME/lib/, and when the pig code used the
    UDF class, and it will use the classes compiled in the old udf rather than
    the new one.
    Maybe your troublesome is related this?

    ORE f1filter INTO '/user/mojo/output/testData' using PigStorage(',');
  • Daniel Dai at Jul 4, 2011 at 5:53 am
    If you do register, then registered jar will use. Otherwise, Pig will find
    container jar in classpath. Check which jar comes first in classpath (if you
    use bin/pig, use bin/pig -secretDebugCmd to find out).

    Daniel
    Sometime after building my UDF, I register the new udf jar, but I had
    forgot
    the old udf jar remain in the $PIG_HOME/lib/, and when the pig code used
    the
    UDF class, and it will use the classes compiled in the old udf rather than
    the new one.
    Maybe your troublesome is related this?

    ORE f1filter INTO '/user/mojo/output/testData' using PigStorage(',');

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedJun 30, '11 at 1:40p
activeJul 4, '11 at 5:53a