Grokbase Groups Pig user May 2011
Please join me in welcoming Aniket Mokashi as a new committer on Pig.
Aniket has been contributing to Pig since last summer. He wrote or
helped shepherd several major features in 0.8, including the Python
UDF work, the new mapreduce functionality, and the custom
partitioner. We look forward to more great work from him in the future.

Alan.

Search Discussions

  • Aniket Mokashi at May 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm
    Hi,

    Thank you everyone for all your support. It has been a very enjoyable
    experience to work with pig community.

    I plan get involved through GSoC platform to contribute to pig project. I
    will be working on addition of support for nested foreach. I will also try
    to work on jiras related to this support (Please assign related jiras to
    me). My proposal to GSoC can be found at --
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/aniket486/1

    <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/aniket486/1>I
    worked on a couple of interesting projects at Yahoo last summer to learn
    about internals of pig parser, logical plan build, construction of physical
    and mr plans from the logical plan. While working on support for scalars, I
    learnt about various passes in pig to reconstruct plans to optimize
    execution and limitations on it. In Pig 0.9, a few things have changed with
    parsers and optimizers. Hence, it would be beneficial for me if you can help
    me out with any comments and remarks on my approach.

    Here are my current thoughts on support of Nested Foreach -(
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1631)
    Pig currently supports nested_proj which internally streams the bag. This
    support can be extended by assigning innerplan to this streaming with
    nested_foreach. First step is to add parser support for this. But, this
    would need changes further to restrict generic support to the innerplan
    depending upon pig limitations. Currently, I am exploring various
    possibilities to add buildNestedForeachOp to logicalplanbuilder with or
    without using existing "generate_clause". I will upload a patch to jira once
    get projection support through nested foreach.
    Please let me know your comments on the same.

    Thanks,
    Aniket
    Hoping to see many more contributions in Pig from you.

    Ashutosh

    --
    "...:::Aniket:::... Quetzalco@tl"

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedMay 19, '11 at 5:09p
activeMay 22, '11 at 6:53p
websitepig.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Alan Gates: 1 post Aniket Mokashi: 1 post