Grokbase Groups Pig user March 2011
Hello,

This may seem a dumb question..
Is there a way to log the pig output to a file?

I tried

pig test.pig > filename

However that does not work.

A related question:
How can we use logging in a UDF that logs out to a file?

Best,
Will

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Dai at Mar 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm
    Pig output goes to STDOUT, info goes to STDERR. If you want to log both,
    use pig xxxx > filename 2>&1

    You can open a file to log inside UDF, but your log will be in different
    work nodes. For debugging purpose, usually I print some debugging output
    to STDOUT, and check the JobTracker UI.

    Daniel
    Is there a way to log the pig output to a file?

    I tried

    pig test.pig> filename

    However that does not work.

    A related question:
    How can we use logging in a UDF that logs out to a file?

    Best,
    Will

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop