Grokbase Groups Pig user March 2011
I have a rather large query that took quite a while to execute (11hours,
probably on the order of 70B rows), and while the job tracker website we
have seems to indicate that the query finished, here is what I see in pig
(around the 95% completion mark, and then the reporting simply died):

org/apache/pig/tools/timer/PerformanceTimerFactory
at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:576)
org.apache.pig.tools.timer.PerformanceTimerFactory
... 2 more

While obviously I only care about getting my info (which seems fine and in
tact), I thought it was worth mentioning that I saw this in case no one has
run across the bug? Especially given that it's important to see bugs that
come from actual use and not just local mode testing...

Search Discussions

  • Alan Gates at Mar 8, 2011 at 7:22 pm
    What version of Pig are you using? PerformanceTimerFactory should
    only be used in debugging code, it shouldn't be involved in a regular
    usage.

    Alan.
    I have a rather large query that took quite a while to execute
    (11hours,
    probably on the order of 70B rows), and while the job tracker
    website we
    have seems to indicate that the query finished, here is what I see
    in pig
    (around the 95% completion mark, and then the reporting simply died):

    org/apache/pig/tools/timer/PerformanceTimerFactory
    at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:576)
    org.apache.pig.tools.timer.PerformanceTimerFactory
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
    301)
    ... 2 more

    While obviously I only care about getting my info (which seems fine
    and in
    tact), I thought it was worth mentioning that I saw this in case no
    one has
    run across the bug? Especially given that it's important to see bugs
    that
    come from actual use and not just local mode testing...
  • Jonathan Coveney at Mar 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm
    Here is my svn info

    Repository Root: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
    Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
    Revision: 1078842
    Node Kind: directory
    Schedule: normal
    Last Changed Author: thejas
    Last Changed Rev: 1078086
    Last Changed Date: 2011-03-04 13:19:08 -0500 (Fri, 04 Mar 2011)

[...]

  • Daniel Dai at Mar 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm
    PerformanceTimerFactory is bundled in pig.jar. I can't think of any
    reason why Pig cannot find this class. Also the invoking code is in the
    main code path, so every run will go over it. Do you see this error
    every time? Try do a clean rebuild and run it again.

    Daniel
[...]

  • Jonathan Coveney at Mar 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm
    I've only ever seen it the once, which is why it was so surprising and I
    thought worth mentioning.

[...]

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedMar 8, '11 at 2:51p