Grokbase Groups Pig user March 2011
Hello,

When skimming through the API I sometimes find docs like:

"Get the JobConf. This should only be called on the backend. It will return null on the frontend".

What do they refer to as backend / frontend?

Best,
Will

Search Discussions

  • Alan Gates at Mar 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm
    Frontend is the machine you launch Pig from. This is where all
    planning is done. The backend is the Hadoop cluster where your jobs
    are executed.

    Alan.
    When skimming through the API I sometimes find docs like:

    "Get the JobConf. This should only be called on the backend. It will
    return null on the frontend".

    What do they refer to as backend / frontend?

    Best,
    Will

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop