Guys,

I'm working on my MSc now using pig/hadoop to process logs.
I'm basically using it to do some characterizations on a traffic analysis
from some of the greatest Media groups from Brazil.
One of my dissertation chapters will be from case studies where that
environment (pig/hadoop) is needed due to difficult techniques to handle
great amount of data.

I'm wonder if someone could help me and point works (academical, published,
technical reports or whatever) or even talk (privately or not) about their
works and how pig/hadoop helped on that.

I will gladly put the results of that chapter on pig wiki later!

Thanks in advance!

--
*Charles Ferreira Gonçalves *
http://homepages.dcc.ufmg.br/~charles/

Search Discussions

  • Russell Jurney at Feb 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm
    LinkedIn uses Pig for all its data products. If you google around, you can
    find talks about this.

    I wrote this, but unfortunately I never became much of a Pig contributor :(
    http://blog.linkedin.com/2010/07/01/linkedin-apache-pig/ We presented
    these slides at a contributor's meeting:
    http://www.slideshare.net/rjurney/azkaban-pig-5057793 Chris Riccomini
    presented Pig at LinkedIn here:
    http://www.slideshare.net/hadoopusergroup/pig-at-linkedin
[...]

  • Charles Gonçalves at Feb 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm
    Thanks Russel I will search around and read about it.

    I really like your linkedin summary about "career-long obsession with
    bringing analytics to the people to enrich their lives", cool!

    On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Charles Gonçalves <charles.fg@gmail.com
[...]

  • Russell Jurney at Feb 19, 2011 at 11:52 pm
    Twitter uses Pig, but I'll let Dmitriy tell you about that. Basically
    everyone is using Pig. Perl was the duct tape of the internet. Pig/Hadoop
    are the duct tape of 'big data.'

    Russ

    On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com
[...]

  • Alan Gates at Feb 20, 2011 at 3:29 am
    There have been talks given at the Bay Area HUGs about how people use
    Pig. I know for example Yahoo Mail did one on how it uses Pig for
    spam detection. Presentations for those talks are posted to Yahoo's
    Hadoop blog: http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/hadoop/

    Alan.
[...]

  • Dmitriy Ryaboy at Feb 20, 2011 at 5:15 am
    Twitter uses Pig for analyzing log data. The uses cases are wide-ranging,
    from performing statistical analysis on the results of feature a/b tests, to
    examining usage patterns on the website and the wider platform, to building
    background models for trending topics.
    You can look online for slide decks from me (should be on the yahoo dev blog
    Alan linked to) and Kevin Weil, those should have some additional details.

[...]

  • Charles Gonçalves at Feb 21, 2011 at 1:36 am
    Ok Guys, I thank you all for your reponses, I will start searching about it
    and will keep you update on this.

[...]

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedFeb 19, '11 at 9:13p