Grokbase Groups Pig user June 2010
Hello,

I face a difficult issue: I need to extract some data from HBase
columns whose names include non ASCII characters like "Cinéma" or
event white spaces " " and coma ",".

exemple:

activity = LOAD 'hbase://activity' USING HBaseStorage('data:Cinéma')
AS (cinema:chararray);

This line is not rejected by grunt, but does not do the job, as if
the "data:Cinéma" column was not in my HBase table.

When I scan the table with the HBase shell, I got the following output:

1276366750803/c849058758bac column=data:Cin\xC3\xA9mas,
timestamp=1276367292195, value=1
1b01b3bb77215b53922

Do you see any character encoding mismatch there ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Search Discussions

  • Vincent Barat at Jun 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm
    No, the issue does not come from the missing "s" in "Cinéma" !
    This typo is in the email only, not in my tests :-)

    I face a difficult issue: I need to extract some data from HBase columns
    whose names include non ASCII characters like "Cinéma" or event white
    spaces " " and coma ",".

    exemple:

    activity = LOAD 'hbase://activity' USING HBaseStorage('data:Cinéma') AS
    (cinema:chararray);

    This line is not rejected by grunt, but does not do the job, as if the
    "data:Cinéma" column was not in my HBase table.

    When I scan the table with the HBase shell, I got the following output:

    1276366750803/c849058758bac column=data:Cin\xC3\xA9mas,
    timestamp=1276367292195, value=1
    1b01b3bb77215b53922

    Do you see any character encoding mismatch there ?

    Thanks a lot for your help.

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedJun 14, '10 at 7:54p