Grokbase Groups Pig user May 2009
Today, I grabbed the Pig 0.2 release and started working on porting my
application to it. In a nutshell, I need to run Pig programmatically
(I'm using PigServer as the entry point) and development versions run
in local mode. I downloaded the Pig 0.2 release, built the project
with the default ant task (to get the jar that includes dependencies),
and then with that jar in my classpath did a new Pig("local");

That gives me this stack trace:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to create DataStorage
at
org
.apache
.pig.backend.hadoop.datastorage.HDataStorage.init(HDataStorage.java:75)
at
org
.apache
.pig.backend.hadoop.datastorage.HDataStorage.<init>(HDataStorage.java:
53)
at org.apache.pig.impl.PigContext.connect(PigContext.java:163)
at org.apache.pig.PigServer.(PigServer.java:128)
at org.apache.pig.PigServer.(PigServer.java:120)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: No FileSystem for scheme: file
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.createFileSystem(FileSystem.java:
1336)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.access$300(FileSystem.java:56)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:1351)
at
org
.apache
.pig.backend.hadoop.datastorage.HDataStorage.init(HDataStorage.java:72)
... 17 more

I've also gotten the same result by taking the pre-built pig.jar in
the distribution and including that and /lib/hadoop18.jar in my
classpath instead.

A little history to this: I had a similar problem with Pig 0.1 that I
was able to fix by patching to PigContext to call LocalDataStorage
instead of HDataStorage, but LocalDataStorage seems to have
disappeared in v0.2 so that workaround isn't going to work this time.
Details in my earlier thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/pig-user@hadoop.apache.org/msg00301.html

I'm assuming that others have successfully run v0.2 in local mode - am
I missing something?

thanks,
Greg

Search Discussions

  • Gregory Harman at May 13, 2009 at 8:15 pm
    Sorry, typo: new PigServer("local");
    Today, I grabbed the Pig 0.2 release and started working on porting
    my application to it. In a nutshell, I need to run Pig
    programmatically (I'm using PigServer as the entry point) and
    development versions run in local mode. I downloaded the Pig 0.2
    release, built the project with the default ant task (to get the jar
    that includes dependencies), and then with that jar in my classpath
    did a new Pig("local");
  • Gregory Harman at May 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm
    I think I got it working (and without my 0.1 patch) - it seems to have
    been a classloader issue specific to my environment and shouldn't
    affect other users.

    Sorry for the noise!
    Today, I grabbed the Pig 0.2 release and started working on porting
    my application to it. In a nutshell, I need to run Pig
    programmatically (I'm using PigServer as the entry point) and
    development versions run in local mode. I downloaded the Pig 0.2
    release, built the project with the default ant task (to get the
    jar that includes dependencies), and then with that jar in my
    classpath did a new Pig("local");

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedMay 13, '09 at 8:04p