Versions: pig from trunk (v 694861), hadoop v 17.2

java -cp pig.jar:$HADOOPSITEPATH org.apache.pig.Main works fine; it
gives me a grunt shell connected to hdfs://localhost:9000/
bin/pig doesn't seem to want to pick up anything out of
pig.properties. Of course, that might be because I have no idea what
to set in the config file. I've tried:

cluster=localhost
cluster=localhost:9000
cluster=hdfs://localhost:9000/
cluster=9000

etc.

Can anyone point me at how to do this?

PS: step four of the pig tutorial is extremely confusing. It says "Set
the HADOOPSITEPATH environment variable to the location of your
hadoop-site.xml file. ", which is incorrect. You must set
HADOOPSITEPATH to the location of the directory containing the
hadoop-site.xml file, which is quite different. Took me some googling
to find the previous thread mentioning this. Someone with write access
should update the tutorial.

Search Discussions

  • Alan Gates at Sep 15, 2008 at 3:37 pm
    I have not tested it with localhost, but

    cluster=hostname:port

    worked when I tested it before, so I assume localhost:9000 should work.
    Where is your pig.properties file? Pig looks for it in '.' I believe.
    For our local version of pig.jar, we roll our pig.properties file into
    the jar at the top level directory and pig finds it just fine.

    Alan.

    Emmett Shear wrote:
[...]

  • Emmett Shear at Sep 16, 2008 at 11:01 pm
    Thanks Alan - my pig.properties file wasn't being loaded at all, that was
    the issue.

    Emmett

    Emmett Shear wrote:
[...]

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedSep 13, '08 at 1:06a
activeSep 16, '08 at 11:01p
websitepig.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Emmett Shear: 2 posts Alan Gates: 1 post