Grokbase Groups Pig dev February 2013
Any reason why PigServer.registerScript(..) chooses to only parse and not
execute, vs executing a pig script via command line invokes the same method
and chooses to execute right away. The latter makes sense to me, but not
sure why the behavior of PigServer API is not in sync with that?

The difference in code is GruntParser.parseStopOnError(boolean) is called
with different arguments in the 2 cases.

-Prashant

Search Discussions

  • Bill Graham at Feb 10, 2013 at 7:04 am
    Is this because PigServer supportes isBatchOn and grunt/command line
    doesn't?
    Any reason why PigServer.registerScript(..) chooses to only parse and not
    execute, vs executing a pig script via command line invokes the same method
    and chooses to execute right away. The latter makes sense to me, but not
    sure why the behavior of PigServer API is not in sync with that?

    The difference in code is GruntParser.parseStopOnError(boolean) is called
    with different arguments in the 2 cases.

    -Prashant

    billgraham@gmail.com going forward.*
  • Julien Le Dem at Feb 11, 2013 at 4:03 am
    yes,
    the behavior of registerScript() depends on if you called setBatchOn()
    before or not
    if batch is on, you need to call executeBatch()
    otherwise it just executes when you store something

    On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Prashant Kommireddi <prash1784@gmail.com
    Any reason why PigServer.registerScript(..) chooses to only parse and not
    execute, vs executing a pig script via command line invokes the same method
    and chooses to execute right away. The latter makes sense to me, but not
    sure why the behavior of PigServer API is not in sync with that?

    The difference in code is GruntParser.parseStopOnError(boolean) is called
    with different arguments in the 2 cases.

    -Prashant

    billgraham@gmail.com going forward.*

groupdev @
categoriespig, hadoop