Grokbase Groups Pig dev December 2007
I have a couple of questions on some of the public methods that Pig
Server exposes:

* Update functions: these functions (two of them) are classified
in the marked in comments as the "continuous version" of the store
function. I am not sure what that means. Is this work related to some
changes that pertain to incremental Pig and that made it to the main
branch of the code? Utkarsh, maybe you can help me with this?

* Functions newRelation and insertTuple: looks like these
functions are not documented and I am wondering what applications are
using them?

Thanks,

-a.

Search Discussions

  • Utkarsh Srivastava at Dec 12, 2007 at 12:02 am

    * Update functions: these functions (two of them) are classified
    in the marked in comments as the "continuous version" of the store
    function. I am not sure what that means. Is this work related to some
    changes that pertain to incremental Pig and that made it to the main
    branch of the code? Utkarsh, maybe you can help me with this?
    These are left overs from pre-apache days. We can get rid of them.

    * Functions newRelation and insertTuple: looks like these
    functions are not documented and I am wondering what applications are
    using them?
    I am not sure about these. Looks like these can be removed too unless
    someone speaks for them.

    Utkarsh

    Thanks,

    -a.
  • Chris Olston at Dec 12, 2007 at 1:53 am

    * Functions newRelation and insertTuple: looks like these
    functions are not documented and I am wondering what applications are
    using them?
    I am not sure about these. Looks like these can be removed too
    unless someone speaks for them.
    I am the one who introduced these (also pre-Apache days), and I no
    longer use them. They are not documented or supported and I'd be
    surprised if anybody is using them currently.

    I vote to remove them unless anybody objects. It may turn out that we
    need this functionality later, in which case we can re-introduce into
    the new framework.

    -Chris

    --
    Christopher Olston, Ph.D.