Grokbase Groups Pig dev November 2007

Now that Hadoop 0.15 is out we need to port Pig to be able to work with
it. There are some interface as well as configuration changes which
makes it not backward compatible for Pig. My question is what how we
should do this. The safest way seems to be to branch what we have now
and make Hadoop 0.15 changes on the trunk. This way people have a choice
which version to use for some time with understanding that we would not
be back porting features or bug fixes onto the branch.

Comments?

Olga

Search Discussions

  • Doug Cutting at Nov 8, 2007 at 9:18 pm

    Olga Natkovich wrote:
    The safest way seems to be to branch what we have now
    and make Hadoop 0.15 changes on the trunk. This way people have a choice
    which version to use for some time with understanding that we would not
    be back porting features or bug fixes onto the branch.
    If the intent is not to change it, i.e., you just want a named revision,
    then a tag might be more appropriate.

    Doug
  • Olga Natkovich at Nov 8, 2007 at 9:23 pm
    I don't necessarily want to prevent changes. I just don't want to signup
    for backporting them from the trunk.

    Olga

    The safest way seems to be to branch what we have now and make Hadoop
    0.15 changes on the trunk. This way people have a choice which version
    to use for some time with understanding that we would not be back
    porting features or bug fixes onto the branch.
    If the intent is not to change it, i.e., you just want a named revision,
    then a tag might be more appropriate.

    Doug
  • Doug Cutting at Nov 8, 2007 at 9:42 pm

    Olga Natkovich wrote:
    I don't necessarily want to prevent changes. I just don't want to signup
    for backporting them from the trunk.
    Then maybe just tag now, and, if someone wants to start a backport
    branch then they could branch from that tag? Or do nothing. Someone
    can always create a branch or tag later from any revision.

    Doug

groupdev @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedNov 8, '07 at 9:10p
activeNov 8, '07 at 9:42p
websitepig.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Doug Cutting: 2 posts Olga Natkovich: 2 posts