On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Midori Kocak wrote:
Remember the ??=. I had a faulty implementation and after that a serious
surgery and I did not have the time to update my implementation. I am OK
now but what should I do with my RFC? Can somebody implement it or should I
move forward with the implementation. What do you guys say? What is your
Computer Scientist & Engineerhttp://www.mynameismidori.com
“*The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the
source of all true art and science.*” Albert Einstein
On 06 May 2016, at 09:25, Joe Watkins wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joe Watkins <firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Looking (not very far) ahead to PHP 7.1
To: Björn Larsson <email@example.com
Cc: Davey Shafik <firstname.lastname@example.org
PHP 5 has been with us for a long time, towards the end of it's life, it
didn't make much sense to have protracted pre-release periods.
PHP 7 has been with us for no time at all, about 5 minutes; It still
creates a fair amount of core (/Zend) bugs, and there are only a few people
who are able, or who bother, to search for and or resolve such bugs.
An RFC does not *need* to be accompanied by an implementation (for some
reason), so we can't very well say "no more RFC after X". All we are
concerned about is the implementation that accompanies the RFC.
Everyone should move forward with their RFC, and voting, in the
knowledge that if the implementation is not ready for Beta 1, it's too
Worth noting that we're only really talking about the feature kind of
RFC: If some internal problem is found that requires an RFC discussion to
resolve and choose a solution for, no problem - that's what we should be
doing at this point.
We don't really need to be any more restrictive than that.
I quite often supply patches for RFC discussions, I get that it's
annoying for someone to say "staph". I get that 7 is shiny, it's easy to
implement complex features, I get that we all waited a long time for such a
I also get that 7.2 is going to be a thing :)
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Björn Larsson wrote:
Ok, well I guess there is always room to change at alpha1 when
all RFC's should be on the table. Agree that 7.1 looks like a busy
I mean, earlier (5.6 & maybe also 7.0) no new RFC's introduced
after alpha1 and voting closed by first beta. Same strategy in 7.1?
Den 2016-05-05 kl. 22:53, skrev Davey Shafik:
I had the same suggestion, but Joe has convinced me that due to the amount
and extent of changes we'd rather have more than we need, than too few!
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Björn Larsson wrote:
Aha, I see & tnx. It's not on the front-page so I missed it.
One reflection is that you have similar amount of
alpha / beta / RC steps like for 7.0 that was a major
release. Looking at todo lists on 5.x. the numbers of
steps are smaller. On the other hand 7.1 seems like
a busy release with typed properties etc
Just my 5c...
Den 2016-05-05 kl. 22:36, skrev Davey Shafik:
The same one used for the vote is where we are currently working. Nothing
is set in stone yet!https://wiki.php.net/todo/php71
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Björn Larsson <
Short question, will you make a todolist like for 7.0 on:
And good luck with the work as RMs! Already looking
forward to 7.1 with some exciting content.
Regards //Björn Larsson
Den 2016-05-05 kl. 18:26, skrev Joe Watkins:
We are hoping for alpha 1 to be available on June 9th, this is a
over 5 weeks away.
Beta 1 (~1 month after alpha 1) on July 7th will be our feature
date - no new RFC's can target 7.1 after this date.
PHP 7.1 has many things targeting it at the moment, some
all of them in various states.
So that the dust is allowed to settle during beta phase, we need to
insist that anything that does not have an implementation by the time
1 comes be pushed back to 7.2.
If you are working on a core (/Zend) feature right now, especially
draft (unannounced) features, and are targeting 7.1, as a matter of
courtesy (not requirement), I'd like to ask you to move forward,
post-haste. It would be good (although not required) if we could get
stuff merged before alpha 1 ... I realize this may be a pipe dream. I'm
at this, and still have dreams ...
TL:DR, dates for diary:
Alpha 1 June 9th
Beta 1 (freeze) July 7th