Hey list!

I just took the php source (5.5.11-git) and wanted to read thru it for a variety of reasons, and noticed that Zend/Makefile.am references two *.y files, that are obviously not present. In fact, there does not see to be any bison file inside the whole of PHP’s source - is that correct, or am I missing a generation step?

$ find php -name "*.y“
-empty-

Kind regards, Ingwie.

Search Discussions

  • Derick Rethans at May 6, 2014 at 8:50 am

    I just took the php source (5.5.11-git) and wanted to read thru it for
    a variety of reasons, and noticed that Zend/Makefile.am references two
    *.y files, that are obviously not present. In fact, there does not see
    to be any bison file inside the whole of PHP’s source - is that
    correct, or am I missing a generation step?
    Neither automake (the .am extension in Makefile.am) or bison are used.
    The automake depency was removed (I think) close to a decade ago, and
    bison's .y got replaced with re2c files (.re). I think somebody forgot
    to remove that Zend/Makefile.am file.

    cheers,
    Derick

    --
    http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org
    twitter: @derickr and @xdebug

    Neither automake (the .am extension in Makefile.am) or bison are used.
    The automake depency was removed (I think) close to a decade ago, and
    bison's .y got replaced with re2c files (.re). I think somebody forgot
    to remove that Zend/Makefile.am file.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but bison is a parser generator and re2c
      is a scanner generator. We replaced flex with re2c but never got
      around to replace bison with lemon AFAIK.

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedMay 3, '14 at 2:44a
activeMay 7, '14 at 6:09a