Hi internals.

Doing a git branch --all , I notice that we still carry very old branches
(back from the svn or even cvs times).

Here is the list :

remotes/origin/experimental/5.2-WITH_DRCP
   remotes/origin/experimental/5.3-FPM
   remotes/origin/experimental/RETURN_REF
   remotes/origin/experimental/ZendEngine2
   remotes/origin/experimental/apache_hooks
   remotes/origin/experimental/first_unicode_implementation
   remotes/origin/experimental/lemon
   remotes/origin/experimental/namespaces
   remotes/origin/experimental/new_apache_hooks
   remotes/origin/experimental/new_ui_api
   remotes/origin/experimental/newoperator
   remotes/origin/experimental/phar_tar
   remotes/origin/experimental/pre_new_hash_func
   remotes/origin/experimental/rand_redesign
   remotes/origin/experimental/the_5_4_that_isnt_5_4
   remotes/origin/experimental/threaded
   remotes/origin/experimental/with_scalar_types
   remotes/origin/experimental/zts_stdc_scanners
   remotes/origin/experimetnal/RETURN_REF_PATCH
   remotes/origin/immutable-date
   remotes/origin/master
   remotes/origin/migration/EXPERIMENTAL
   remotes/origin/migration/INITIAL
   remotes/origin/migration/RELEASE_1_0_0
   remotes/origin/migration/sqlite-start
   remotes/origin/migration/unlabaled-1.1.2
   remotes/origin/migration/unlabaled-1.29.2
   remotes/origin/migration/unlabaled-1.3.2
   remotes/origin/migration/unlabaled-1.67.2

We don't need git space, right ; but I think we need some cleanup to keep
consistency.
While I know "immutable-date" or even "lemon" could still be reworked on in
the future, I personnaly have absolutely no clue about
"migration/unlabaled-1.67.2" for example.
"experimental/the_5_4_that_isnt_5_4" is funny as well, I guess it's a try
for someone, I haven't diffed it anyway.
I assume some of our remote branches are both old and useless nowadays.

Could we make a list of the remote branches we really don't need anymore,
and clean them up ?

Thx

Julien Pauli

Search Discussions

  • Yasuo Ohgaki at Oct 29, 2013 at 11:10 am
    Hi Julien,
    We don't need git space, right ; but I think we need some cleanup to keep
    consistency.
    While I know "immutable-date" or even "lemon" could still be reworked on in
    the future, I personnaly have absolutely no clue about
    "migration/unlabaled-1.67.2" for example.
    "experimental/the_5_4_that_isnt_5_4" is funny as well, I guess it's a try
    for someone, I haven't diffed it anyway.
    I assume some of our remote branches are both old and useless nowadays.

    Could we make a list of the remote branches we really don't need anymore,
    and clean them up ?
    There are too many branches.

    +1 for removing fully merged branches. No point to keep them.
    +1 for removing discarded branches.
    +1 for old work in progress branches. If anyone need them, we can keep them
    locally.

    If we decided to keep some of them, renaming is needed at least.

    Yasuo Ohgaki
    yohgaki@ohgaki.net
  • Julien Pauli at Oct 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

[...]

    Regards,

    I won't remove anything by myself.

    Im asking everyone to make a list of branches , and what action we should
    take about them (mainly : remove, or perhaps archive somewhere for some of
    them).

    Julien Pauli
  • Joe Watkins at Oct 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

[...]

    Pointless to keep merged ones ...

    Don't remove anything interesting though, please ...

    Or if it must be removed, can we have a php-siberia ??

    Cheers
    Joe
  • David Soria Parra at Oct 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm

    Julien Pauli schrieb:
    Could we make a list of the remote branches we really don't need anymore,
    and clean them up ?
    This was discussed when we moved to git. If we delete the branches eventual
    commits will get lost. They honestly don't hurt at all unless you are super
    aestetic about it in which case you don't want to look at git branch -a anyway.
    Therefore I see no reason to remove them except for killing parts of PHP's
    version control system history.

    -1 for me.

    It's obv okay for branches that got merged.

    David
  • Leszek Krupiński at Oct 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

    Could we make a list of the remote branches we really don't need anymore,
    and clean them up ?
    This was discussed when we moved to git. If we delete the branches eventual
    commits will get lost. They honestly don't hurt at all unless you are super
    aestetic about it in which case you don't want to look at git branch -a anyway.
    Therefore I see no reason to remove them except for killing parts of PHP's
    version control system history.

    -1 for me.

    It's obv okay for branches that got merged.

    David
    -1 as well. In git most branches don't take much space if any (branch is
    just a pointer to a commit - if this commit is also in another branch,
    no data is duplicated).

    --Leszek
  • Adam Harvey at Oct 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm