as part of the extension version check on PECL it turned out, that the
extensions in the core are almost completely out of track with their
versions, not even to talk about version macros names. That regards to
exts imported from PECL as well as to the exts never been in PECL. Here
are a few examples of zend_module_entry version strings:

ext/simplexml
"0.1"

ext/bz2
NO_VERSION_YET (== NULL) but was PECL 1.0 in 2003

ext/pdo
"1.0.4dev" whereby it was PECL 1.0.3 in 2006

and the winner might be that from ext/tokenizer

"0.1", /* Replace with version number for your extension */

as if it were just generated :)

Only a few extensions, just to name some - zip, dom, oci8, track the
version number.

Actually that doesn't look solid for the extensions being in the core
for years. And while that's a minor issue, it doesn't really smell good.
So, do we wanna do something about it?

Regards

Anatol

Search Discussions

  • Michael Wallner at Oct 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

[...]

    I'd use PHP_VERSION for those extensions not explicitely managing a version.

    Mike
  • Pierre Joye at Oct 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

[...]

    PHP_VERSION-bundle

    for clarity in bug report :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Pierre

    @pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org
  • Christopher Jones at Oct 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm

    as part of the extension version check on PECL it turned out, that the
    extensions in the core are almost completely out of track with their
    versions, not even to talk about version macros names. That regards to
    exts imported from PECL as well as to the exts never been in PECL. Here
    are a few examples of zend_module_entry version strings:
    I'd use PHP_VERSION for those extensions not explicitely managing a version.
    PHP_VERSION-bundle

    for clarity in bug report :)

    For ext/* that do not (or no longer) have PECL releases (e.g. pdo,
    dom) I would change their versions to PHP_VERSION-bundle even if they
    currently have some rational versioning.

    Extensions like ext/oci8 that historically do also have PECL releases
    should manage their own version numbers

    Chris
  • Pierre Joye at Oct 15, 2013 at 4:33 pm

    as part of the extension version check on PECL it turned out, that the
    extensions in the core are almost completely out of track with their
    versions, not even to talk about version macros names. That regards to
    exts imported from PECL as well as to the exts never been in PECL. Here
    are a few examples of zend_module_entry version strings:
    I'd use PHP_VERSION for those extensions not explicitely managing a
    version.

    PHP_VERSION-bundle

    for clarity in bug report :)

    For ext/* that do not (or no longer) have PECL releases (e.g. pdo,
    dom) I would change their versions to PHP_VERSION-bundle even if they
    currently have some rational versioning.

    Extensions like ext/oci8 that historically do also have PECL releases
    should manage their own version numbers
    Yes, that's the idea
  • Michael Wallner at Oct 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm

    as part of the extension version check on PECL it turned out, that the
    extensions in the core are almost completely out of track with their
    versions, not even to talk about version macros names. That regards to
    exts imported from PECL as well as to the exts never been in PECL. Here
    are a few examples of zend_module_entry version strings:
    I'd use PHP_VERSION for those extensions not explicitely managing a
    version.

    PHP_VERSION-bundle

    for clarity in bug report :)

    For ext/* that do not (or no longer) have PECL releases (e.g. pdo,
    dom) I would change their versions to PHP_VERSION-bundle even if they
    currently have some rational versioning.

    Extensions like ext/oci8 that historically do also have PECL releases
    should manage their own version numbers
    Yes, that's the idea
    +1

    Mike
  • Marc Bennewitz at Oct 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm

    as part of the extension version check on PECL it turned out, that the
    extensions in the core are almost completely out of track with their
    versions, not even to talk about version macros names. That regards to
    exts imported from PECL as well as to the exts never been in PECL. Here
    are a few examples of zend_module_entry version strings:
    I'd use PHP_VERSION for those extensions not explicitely managing a
    version.
    PHP_VERSION-bundle

    for clarity in bug report :)

    For ext/* that do not (or no longer) have PECL releases (e.g. pdo,
    dom) I would change their versions to PHP_VERSION-bundle even if they
    currently have some rational versioning.

    Extensions like ext/oci8 that historically do also have PECL releases
    should manage their own version numbers
    What about pecl extensions with version numbers grater than PHP_VERSION
    on moving/moved to core? Don't know if this is the case somewhere.

    Marc
  • Pierre Joye at Oct 16, 2013 at 6:32 pm