See https://wiki.php.net/rfc/instance_counter#vote

Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.

Search Discussions

  • Sebastian Bergmann at May 6, 2013 at 8:55 am

    On 04/30/2013 10:04 AM, Frank Liepert wrote:
    Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.
      I voted -1; not because I do not think the feature is useful
      but because I think it belongs in an extension such as Xdebug and
      not in PHP itself.
  • Ferenc Kovacs at May 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

    Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.
    I voted -1; not because I do not think the feature is useful
    but because I think it belongs in an extension such as Xdebug and
    not in PHP itself.
    Same here, I think that this doesn't provide much (having it in the core),
    but leaking this kind of abstractions could tie our hands in the future
    when we want to change the internal implementation.

    --
    Ferenc Kovács
    @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

    Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.
    I voted -1; not because I do not think the feature is useful
    but because I think it belongs in an extension such as Xdebug and
    not in PHP itself.
    Seriously, an extension just for that?
    Was var_dump()/print_r() a mistake adding it to core since it (mostly)
    belongs to debugging as well?
  • Ferenc Kovacs at May 6, 2013 at 10:47 am

    Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.
    I voted -1; not because I do not think the feature is useful
    but because I think it belongs in an extension such as Xdebug and
    not in PHP itself.
    Seriously, an extension just for that?
    Was var_dump()/print_r() a mistake adding it to core since it (mostly)
    belongs to debugging as well?
    a better comparison would be debug_zval_dump, and yes, I think that it
    caused more trouble than it solved, and should have left it for extensions
    (xdebug has a better alternative) to provide something similar.

    --
    Ferenc Kovács
    @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

    On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Patrick ALLAERT
    Voting starts as of now and ends on 7th May, 2013.
    I voted -1; not because I do not think the feature is useful
    but because I think it belongs in an extension such as Xdebug and
    not in PHP itself.
    Seriously, an extension just for that?
    Was var_dump()/print_r() a mistake adding it to core since it (mostly)
    belongs to debugging as well?
    a better comparison would be debug_zval_dump, and yes, I think that it
    caused more trouble than it solved, and should have left it for
    extensions
    (xdebug has a better alternative) to provide something similar.

    --
    Ferenc Kovács
    @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

    Somehow I'm glad to see, that there is still some ongoing discussion.

    Unfortunately and considering the RFC process, some new and fundamental arguments were raised right after the voting has started. It might be a reason to halt the vote, but I see no reason for doing it. I'm not sure if the discussion period was too short or not. From April, 11th on there were no more comments on the RFC.

    The interim voting result is perfectly okay for me. But maybe one should think about improving the RFC process (longer minimum discussion period etc.).

    Some last words to the RFC itself: I'm aware of the documentation saying "PHP does not have an internal debugging facility." Still, there are various functions which are used within the meaning of debugging. To mention a few: headers_list(), memory_get_usage(), var_dump() or even print_r(). If there is a general paradigm shift in terms of refering new debugging functionalities to extensions like Xdebug or saying there are no use cases for production mode and therefore "no" (Pierre), then it should be mentioned somewhere.

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedApr 30, '13 at 8:05a
activeMay 6, '13 at 4:14p