At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
(http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
tests for the feature, and am looking for feedback and a developer to
incorporate it into PHP 5.3 and 6. What do others think of the
feature? Is there a developer willing to apply it to the codebase? The
patch doesn't target the most recent source revision. If it won't
patch the current sources, let me know and I'll update it.

Search Discussions

  • Stas Malyshev at Nov 15, 2010 at 1:43 am
    Hi!
    At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
    to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
    I don't think we really need more options - I think we should just have
    <?= always work. There's no valid XML file out there that contains <?=
    and only people that use it are PHP programmes that don't care for XML
    validity. Why not just make it work finally?
    Yes, I know that was debated 100 times. But I still think disabling <?=
    makes no sense, so here it goes.
    --
    Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
    SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/

    At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
    to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
    I don't think we really need more options - I think we should just have
    <?= always work. There's no valid XML file out there that contains <?=
    and only people that use it are PHP programmes that don't care for XML
    validity. Why not just make it work finally?
    Yes, I know that was debated 100 times. But I still think disabling <?=
    makes no sense, so here it goes.
    Yup, I agree. I see no reason to kill <?=

    -R
  • Gustavo Lopes at Nov 15, 2010 at 2:44 am

    At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
    to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
    I don't think we really need more options - I think we should just have
    <?= always work. There's no valid XML file out there that contains <?=
    and only people that use it are PHP programmes that don't care for XML
    validity. Why not just make it work finally?
    Yes, I know that was debated 100 times. But I still think disabling <?=
    makes no sense, so here it goes.
    Yup, I agree. I see no reason to kill <?=
    The problem with <?= is that more often that not, you need to run the text
    through htmlentities or similar, so it would be of very limited usefulness
    even if it could be relied on (i.e. it always worked).

    --
    Gustavo Lopes
  • Rasmus Lerdorf at Nov 15, 2010 at 2:49 am

    At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
    to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
    I don't think we really need more options - I think we should just have
    <?= always work. There's no valid XML file out there that contains <?=
    and only people that use it are PHP programmes that don't care for XML
    validity. Why not just make it work finally?
    Yes, I know that was debated 100 times. But I still think disabling <?=
    makes no sense, so here it goes.
    Yup, I agree. I see no reason to kill <?=
    The problem with <?= is that more often that not, you need to run the
    text through htmlentities or similar, so it would be of very limited
    usefulness even if it could be relied on (i.e. it always worked).
    That's a very different issue and has nothing to do with whether <?=
    should be there or not. In most templating/views the variables exposed
    to that part have already been filtered for display purposes.

    In my stuff, for example, I always have the "full_special_chars" default
    filter in place, so all user-derived variables are automatically safe.

    -Rasmus
  • Stas Malyshev at Nov 15, 2010 at 2:50 am
    Hi!
    The problem with<?= is that more often that not, you need to run the text
    through htmlentities or similar, so it would be of very limited usefulness
    even if it could be relied on (i.e. it always worked).
    So, you say <?= is not useful in certain cases. I agree. There are
    plenty of cases where it *is* useful and since restricting it obviously
    did nothing to discourage its use and only added annoyance to the life
    of average php programmer, I'd say let's get rid of that annoyance. I
    see benefits, I see no cost, the case seems obvious. Anybody can make a
    case for not fixing <?= in 5.4 to finally work regardless of ini settings?
    --
    Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
    SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/
    (408)454-6900 ext. 227
  • Will Fitch at Nov 15, 2010 at 2:52 am
    +1
    At the beginning of the year, someone put in a request for an option
    to enable echo tags when short tags are disabled
    (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50662). I've written a patch and two
    I don't think we really need more options - I think we should just have
    <?= always work. There's no valid XML file out there that contains <?=
    and only people that use it are PHP programmes that don't care for XML
    validity. Why not just make it work finally?
    Yes, I know that was debated 100 times. But I still think disabling <?=
    makes no sense, so here it goes.
    Yup, I agree. I see no reason to kill <?=

    -R

    Will Fitch
    Director of Operations | Quepasa.com
    931.205.8242 | will.fitch@quepasacorp.com