The PHP functions openssl_pkcs7_(sign|encrypt|decrypt|verify) do require files to be executed. In
many cases this will create the unintended requirement of temporary files. In compare with
openssl_(sign|encrypt|decrypt|verify|...) which are doing almost the same thing this is a strange
behavior.

When we look at the purpose of openssl_pkcs7_* (working with digital signatures in mail), you would
not expect to work with files instead of strings for this few data.

Regards,

Paul

Search Discussions

  • Jille Timmermans at Jul 16, 2010 at 7:46 am
    For the record: I created a proof-of-concept patch which changes
    openssl_pkcs7_sign() to use the input filename as a string instead as a
    filename. Paul has tested this and it seems to work.

    I don't know what the best way is to go from here. We could add an extra
    argument to all those functions which toggles whether they are threated as
    filenames or not. Or we could let all the functies also accept streams, etc..
    Is there a maintainer of the OpenSSL (pcks7) functions?

    -- Jille

    The PHP functions openssl_pkcs7_(sign|encrypt|decrypt|verify) do require files to be executed. In
    many cases this will create the unintended requirement of temporary files. In compare with
    openssl_(sign|encrypt|decrypt|verify|...) which are doing almost the same thing this is a strange
    behavior.

    When we look at the purpose of openssl_pkcs7_* (working with digital signatures in mail), you would
    not expect to work with files instead of strings for this few data.

    Regards,

    Paul
  • Pierre Joye at Jul 16, 2010 at 7:54 am
    hi,
[...]

    Can you open a feature request for these changes/features please? So I
    won't lost track of them.

    Thanks for your workd and feedbacks,

    Cheers,
  • Paul van Brouwershaven at Jul 16, 2010 at 8:35 am

    Can you open a feature request for these changes/features please? So I
    won't lost track of them.
    http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=52356

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp