The migration guide states that "The use of {} to access string offsets
is deprecated. Use [] instead." but the code in zend_compile.c is
commented out with #ifdef ilia_0.

What's the take on this? Will it be deprecated later or should that part
be removed from the migration document?

Another side-note: The paragraph "The behaviour of functions with
by-reference parameters called by value has changed. Where previously
the function would accept the by-value argument, a warning is now
emitted and all by-ref parameters are set to NULL" was confusing for a
couple of people here and to be honest I'm not sure either what it means ;-)

Regards,
- Chris

Search Discussions

  • Philip Olson at Jul 6, 2009 at 4:18 pm

    The migration guide states that "The use of {} to access string
    offsets
    is deprecated. Use [] instead." but the code in zend_compile.c is
    commented out with #ifdef ilia_0.

    What's the take on this? Will it be deprecated later or should that
    part
    be removed from the migration document?

    It's been awhile but I once researched this, spoke with humans, and
    determined this syntax is deprecated as of PHP 6 and documented[1] it
    as such. However, that was almost three years ago so maybe the times
    have changed.

    Regards,
    Philip

    [1] http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.substr