<rantish mode>
One of the problems with playing with a new platform is getting things
they way you are used to them. Linux is somewhat easier than Windows in
that respect, but using Eclipse has at least provided a level playing
field and now that I've got it tidied up and working on the Vista64 box
( has to use w32 jave to run ;) ) I can now get around some of the
little niggles.

Files that are common to windows and linux will naturally follow linux
rules on new line, so can't be displayed in 'notepad', and I've had to
switch some of the windows defaults to get 'wordpad' used instead. I had
forgotten to switch the wrap to ruler off which was causing a little
confusion with white space, but once I get Eclipse configured to the
windows php framework the problem will go away. Being used to 'notepad'
I kept opening files the wrong way at first, although some files do
actually display correctly in notepad.
</rantish mode>

Bottom line - rather than reinventing the wheel - is anybody else
actually using Eclipse and has a simple set-up guide for how they have
configured things? Ideally for windows, but I'd like to pull this up on
the Linux boxes as well. If I'm going to have to start working on
extension code it's easier on the linux box anyway and then I can cross
test on windows.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

  • Nuno Lopes at Jun 11, 2009 at 8:27 am

    Bottom line - rather than reinventing the wheel - is anybody else actually
    using Eclipse and has a simple set-up guide for how they have configured
    things? Ideally for windows, but I'd like to pull this up on the Linux
    boxes as well. If I'm going to have to start working on extension code
    it's easier on the linux box anyway and then I can cross test on windows.
    I guess I have another option for you: use cygwin's cvs client. When you
    checkout, it translates the EOLs to windows style, and when you commit it
    translates the EOLs back to unix. This way you can code in any editor you
    want, but without surprises when doing diffs and when commiting.

    Nuno
  • Lester Caine at Jun 11, 2009 at 8:41 am

    Nuno Lopes wrote:
    Bottom line - rather than reinventing the wheel - is anybody else
    actually using Eclipse and has a simple set-up guide for how they have
    configured things? Ideally for windows, but I'd like to pull this up
    on the Linux boxes as well. If I'm going to have to start working on
    extension code it's easier on the linux box anyway and then I can
    cross test on windows.
    I guess I have another option for you: use cygwin's cvs client. When you
    checkout, it translates the EOLs to windows style, and when you commit
    it translates the EOLs back to unix. This way you can code in any editor
    you want, but without surprises when doing diffs and when commiting.
    But that defeats the whole point ...
    Eclipse handles the CVS along with everything else so why would I want
    to add cygwin? Actually I don't want the files converted - that is just
    another possible area of confusion if both formats are being used in the
    php code I'd rather know that anyway.
    I'm just looking for some help to get a cross platform solution based on
    Eclipse working.

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

    Bottom line - rather than reinventing the wheel - is anybody else actually
    using Eclipse and has a simple set-up guide for how they have configured
    things? Ideally for windows, but I'd like to pull this up on the Linux boxes
    as well. If I'm going to have to start working on extension code it's easier
    on the linux box anyway and then I can cross test on windows.
    I guess I have another option for you: use cygwin's cvs client. When you
    checkout, it translates the EOLs to windows style, and when you commit it
    translates the EOLs back to unix. This way you can code in any editor you
    want, but without surprises when doing diffs and when commiting.
    Every CVS does that, not only cygwin. That's the case for all text
    files. However, some files have to be in one mode (can't find an
    example right now). Other should not be in a given mode, usually mac
    EOL are not supported on windows (compiler or makefiles).

    Cheers,
  • Niel Archer at Jun 11, 2009 at 5:05 pm

    <rantish mode>
    One of the problems with playing with a new platform is getting things
    they way you are used to them. Linux is somewhat easier than Windows in
    that respect, but using Eclipse has at least provided a level playing
    field and now that I've got it tidied up and working on the Vista64 box
    ( has to use w32 jave to run ;) ) I can now get around some of the
    little niggles.
    I do not understand why you have to run with win32 Java. There is a 64
    bit version of Java from Sun which runs on Windows. Like most 64 bit
    support on Windows, it takes some work to locate, the Java site mentions
    it, but despite referring to a download I can't find it there. Instead,
    I use this link:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    Also, there is a 64 bit version of Eclipse, although you have to do some
    digging to find it exists. Go to the mirror of your choice and look for
    the 'eclipse-platform-SDK-3.4-win32-x86_64.zip' file. This requires
    that you add any dependencies for PDT etc yourself, but as each project
    lists its dependencies this is not a real problem. However, it's the
    only 64 bit version of Eclipse I have been able to find, PDT does not do
    a bundle for x64 yet :-(
[...]

    Niel Archer
    niel.archer (at) blueyonder.co.uk
  • Lester Caine at Jun 11, 2009 at 6:25 pm

    Niel Archer wrote:
[...]

    PHPEclipse is still x86 as well ... I have no plans to move to PDT any
    time soon as I know most of the PHPEclipse code quite well now!
    Along with a couple of other SQL packages. I tried the x86_64 build but
    could not install the other bits that I use successfully on the 64 bit
    version on Linux ... not enough hours to waste even more time fixing
    side issues, so I switched to what I was told DID work, and it's doing
    what I need.

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

    PHPEclipse is still x86 as well ... I have no plans to move to PDT any time
    soon as I know most of the PHPEclipse code quite well now!
    Along with a couple of other SQL packages. I tried the x86_64 build but
    could not install the other bits that I use successfully on the 64 bit
    version on Linux ... not enough hours to waste even more time fixing side
    issues, so I switched to what I was told DID work, and it's doing what I
    need.
    please move this discussion elsewhere, it has nothing to do with php internals.
  • Lester Caine at Jun 11, 2009 at 7:04 pm