I know I will be directed to the 'windows' list, but I think it is
important that PHP is still available cross platform ... I run both
Linux and Windows and both should run the same?

Since many of my target systems are still Windows based, primary testing
of new stuff is done on that, but currently I'm unable to even test a
windows build due to the lack of php_interbase.dll.

Other packages are also missing from the ext directory most of which I
think I've identified as moved to PECL, but - while I do not use pdo -
where has php_pdo.dll gone. If it's built into the windows binary then
this needs to be pointed out?

On one hand I'm being told that I don't need to be able to build windows
binaries as these are provided - and I can't anyway as I am still
running a Borland development enviroment for windows - but if the core
facilities are not going to match the Linux builds then there is a
problem ...

LAST time I was able to run 5.3 the bitweaver code base produced a lot
of warnings, while currently it runs clean with display_erros=on, but
until I can actually run it again I can't report any problems, and so I
will have to stay with the 5.2 branch.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

  • Lester Caine at May 16, 2009 at 8:55 am

    Lester Caine wrote:
[...]

    I've just been working through some of the other add-ons and a couple
    more questions poped up.
    What is happening with PECL in windows for 5.3?

    Anybody know if there is a 5.3 build of php_imagick or magickwand ? This
    used to be available via PECL, but seems to have evaporated at some point?

    As yet there is no 5.3 build for eAccelerator ... but a build of that
    has been requested.

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

    Lester Caine wrote:
    Lester Caine wrote:
[...]

    eAccelerator is not a pecl project. It is completely unrelated to
    *.php.net.

    The fact is that we have only a handful of people who do any sort of
    Windows work while we have hundreds of volunteers for other parts of the
    project. Unless we get more volunteers interesting in working on
    Windows-related stuff, you are always going to see a gap between Windows
    and the rest of the world.

    -Rasmus
  • Pierre Joye at May 16, 2009 at 9:24 am

    The fact is that we have only a handful of people who do any sort of
    Windows work while we have hundreds of volunteers for other parts of the
    project.  Unless we get more volunteers interesting in working on
    Windows-related stuff, you are always going to see a gap between Windows
    and the rest of the world.
    We have many people testing Windows, it is much better now than for a
    year or so. But we do not even have a handful of people taking care of
    the firebird extension itself (testing or maintaining it).

    Cheers,
  • Rasmus Lerdorf at May 16, 2009 at 9:31 am

    Pierre Joye wrote:
    The fact is that we have only a handful of people who do any sort of
    Windows work while we have hundreds of volunteers for other parts of the
    project. Unless we get more volunteers interesting in working on
    Windows-related stuff, you are always going to see a gap between Windows
    and the rest of the world.
    We have many people testing Windows, it is much better now than for a
    year or so. But we do not even have a handful of people taking care of
    the firebird extension itself (testing or maintaining it).
    Testing pre-built stuff, sure. But building extensions and making them
    work on Windows is still quite rare. Not that I am criticizing, I don't
    do it either. I have absolutely zero interest in that platform.

    -Rasmus
  • Pierre Joye at May 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

    The fact is that we have only a handful of people who do any sort of
    Windows work while we have hundreds of volunteers for other parts of the
    project.  Unless we get more volunteers interesting in working on
    Windows-related stuff, you are always going to see a gap between Windows
    and the rest of the world.
    We have many people testing Windows, it is much better now than for a
    year or so. But we do not even have a handful of people taking care of
    the firebird extension itself (testing or maintaining it).
    Testing pre-built stuff, sure.  But building extensions and making them
    work on Windows is still quite rare.  Not that I am criticizing, I don't
    do it either.  I have absolutely zero interest in that platform.
    I was referring to testing&maintaining the extension itself, even on
    only one platform :)

    Cheers,
  • Lester Caine at May 16, 2009 at 10:25 am
    ( **** return address !!! There is only a couple of sites now that I
    have this problem )

    Pierre Joye wrote:
    The fact is that we have only a handful of people who do any sort of
    Windows work while we have hundreds of volunteers for other parts of the
    project. Unless we get more volunteers interesting in working on
    Windows-related stuff, you are always going to see a gap between Windows
    and the rest of the world.
    We have many people testing Windows, it is much better now than for a
    year or so. But we do not even have a handful of people taking care of
    the firebird extension itself (testing or maintaining it).
    Testing pre-built stuff, sure. But building extensions and making them
    work on Windows is still quite rare. Not that I am criticizing, I don't
    do it either. I have absolutely zero interest in that platform.
    I was referring to testing&maintaining the extension itself, even on
    only one platform :)
    php_interbase gets tested for every build using a number of test suites.
    Currently as far as I am aware all the previous regression bugs have now
    been fixed, and the numeric bug has also been cleared so our only
    problem is why is it not being compiled for PHP5.3? PHP5.2.9 is fine as
    well as the snapshot for 5.2.10 ....

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

    Lester Caine wrote:
[...]
    Are we going to get an answer on this?

    php_interbase is running fine on Linux builds of 5.3, so what is the
    holdup on it being included in the windows builds?

    You ASK us to test, but until we are able to actually use it then it's a
    little bit difficult ...

    We have HAD the discussion on BUILDING PHP on Windows, and the current
    build environment is something that many of us do not have the
    capability of copying, especially given the latest changes to require
    additional M$ versions, but we have been told in the past that it is
    simply TESTING that is required! Personally I only use Apache so I have
    no ability to test IIS installs and just need to maintain a capability
    between Windows and Linux servers.

    ( And an ability to get back to testing PHP6 on windows would also be
    nice? The current copy I have here is a couple of years old )

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

    php_interbase gets tested for every build using a number of test suites.
    Currently as far as I am aware all the previous regression bugs have now
    been fixed, and the numeric bug has also been cleared so our only
    problem is why is it not being compiled for PHP5.3? PHP5.2.9 is fine as
    well as the snapshot for 5.2.10 ....
    Are we going to get an answer on this?
    You already got answers about that, many times.
    php_interbase is running fine on Linux builds of 5.3, so what is the holdup
    on it being included in the windows builds?
    My last attempts to build the clients failed. Either with VC6 or with
    VC9 (which seems to do not be supported).
    ( And an ability to get back to testing PHP6 on windows would also be nice?
    The current copy I have here is a couple of years old )
    php6 snaps work just fine, "only" not firebird for the reasons stated earlier.

    Cheers,
  • Lester Caine at May 25, 2009 at 6:40 am

    Pierre Joye wrote:
    php_interbase gets tested for every build using a number of test suites.
    Currently as far as I am aware all the previous regression bugs have now
    been fixed, and the numeric bug has also been cleared so our only
    problem is why is it not being compiled for PHP5.3? PHP5.2.9 is fine as
    well as the snapshot for 5.2.10 ....
    Are we going to get an answer on this?
    You already got answers about that, many times.
    php_interbase is running fine on Linux builds of 5.3, so what is the holdup
    on it being included in the windows builds?
    My last attempts to build the clients failed. Either with VC6 or with
    VC9 (which seems to do not be supported).
    DOES PHP_INTERBASE.DLL COMPILE !!!
    If it does not please can you let us know where it is failing?
    THAT is all we are asking to be included in the windows builds, and it
    complies and works fine in Linux with existing Linux clients ...
    ( And an ability to get back to testing PHP6 on windows would also be nice?
    The current copy I have here is a couple of years old )
    php6 snaps work just fine, "only" not firebird for the reasons stated earlier.
    DITTO ...
    The client will always be used from an official Firebird build, so
    should not be included in PHP!

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------
[...]
    I said "clients" not the extension.
    ( And an ability to get back to testing PHP6 on windows would also be
    nice?
    The current copy I have here is a couple of years old )
    php6 snaps work just fine, "only" not firebird for the reasons stated
    earlier.
    DITTO ...
    The client will always be used from an official Firebird build, so should
    not be included in PHP!
    Sorry, not going to begin this discussion again, please check the
    archives (internals and firebird-php).

    Please do not use whole words/sentences uppercased, I'm old but I can
    read normal texts.

    Cheers,
  • Lester Caine at May 25, 2009 at 7:04 am

    Pierre Joye wrote:
    If it does not please can you let us know where it is failing?
    THAT is all we are asking to be included in the windows builds, and it
    complies and works fine in Linux with existing Linux clients ...
    I said "clients" not the extension.
    That was my point ... If the extension is compiling then why is it not
    included in PHP5.3?
    Sorry, not going to begin this discussion again, please check the
    archives (internals and firebird-php).

    Please do not use whole words/sentences uppercased, I'm old but I can
    read normal texts.
    There is absolutely no reason to exclude php_interbase.dll from the
    current builds of windows PHP. That is entirely your decision, and one
    that can not be justified!

    The client that has been included with PHP up until now has always been
    one from an Interbase build, and if any client is included then it has
    to be that since the extension is still called php_interbase ...

    Firebird clients have - up until now - been used where we need to
    connect to Firebird, and in PHP5.2.x php_interbase.dll + the correct
    client for version of Firebird you wish to target works. Some people are
    still running FB1.5 and so will not want a later client on the system,
    so all that is needed is a copy of the extension as currently supplied
    with PHP5.2.x .....

    If there is now a reason some legitimate reason to split the extension
    to provide a php_firebird and include a related Firebird client with PHP
    please can we have that discussion, but at present there is nothing we
    are asking for that requires that split?

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp