Would it not easier and better to have mysqlnd as default backend for
the mysql extensions (pdo, mysqli and mysql) when the configure option
are used without value? I can already imagine the maintenance pains
and the debugging nightmare for our users while working with a buggy
libmysql instead of mysqlnd.

Please note that it is only about using myslqnd by default, not about
enabling mysqlnd by default (a vote has been done already on that and
rejected).

Cheers,

Search Discussions

  • Jani Taskinen at May 4, 2009 at 7:07 pm

    Pierre Joye kirjoitti:
    Hi,

    Would it not easier and better to have mysqlnd as default backend for
    the mysql extensions (pdo, mysqli and mysql) when the configure option
    are used without value? I can already imagine the maintenance pains
    and the debugging nightmare for our users while working with a buggy
    libmysql instead of mysqlnd.
    Current status of mysqlnd does not warrant it being default. Just check the bug
    database..

    --Jani
  • Ulf Wendel at May 6, 2009 at 11:27 am

    Jani Taskinen schrieb:
    Pierre Joye kirjoitti:
    Hi,

    Would it not easier and better to have mysqlnd as default backend for
    the mysql extensions (pdo, mysqli and mysql) when the configure option
    are used without value? I can already imagine the maintenance pains
    and the debugging nightmare for our users while working with a buggy
    libmysql instead of mysqlnd.
    Current status of mysqlnd does not warrant it being default. Just check
    the bug database..
    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.

    Ulf

    --
    http://blog.ulf-wendel.de
    Artikel zu den Sun MySQL-Connectoren für PHP, C++ und OpenOffice.org

    Would it not easier and better to have mysqlnd as default backend for
    the mysql extensions (pdo, mysqli and mysql) when the configure option
    are used without value? I can already imagine the maintenance pains
    and the debugging nightmare for our users while working with a buggy
    libmysql instead of mysqlnd.
    Current status of mysqlnd does not warrant it being default. Just check
    the bug database..
    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.
    it can, but then it gets even worst as you lost the category... a
    feature request being a category.
  • Hannes Magnusson at May 6, 2009 at 11:37 am

    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.
    it can, but then it gets even worst as you lost the category... a
    feature request being a category.
    We could apply the same workaround as we did for docs, use a status..

    -Hannes
  • Pierre Joye at May 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm

    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.
    it can, but then it gets even worst as you lost the category... a
    feature request being a category.
    We could apply the same workaround as we did for docs, use a status..
    I think it is a bug type (bug, feature request) not a status (closed,
    open, feedback, to be doc'ed, etc.)

    Cheers,
  • Johannes Schlüter at May 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm

    On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Hannes Magnusson
    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.
    it can, but then it gets even worst as you lost the category... a
    feature request being a category.
    We could apply the same workaround as we did for docs, use a status..
    I think it is a bug type (bug, feature request) not a status (closed,
    open, feedback, to be doc'ed, etc.)
    Actually it is a flag as it is an "open" "feature request" in the
    "foobar category". So this might be a checkbox in the GUI ... (just my
    opinion)
    Maybe Philip and felipe2 can add that during the GSoC work

    johannes

    Cheers,
    --
    Johannes Schlüter - MySQL Engineering, Connectors and Client Connectivity

    Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
    Amtsgericht München: HRB161028
  • Pierre Joye at May 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm

    On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Hannes Magnusson
    I would appreciate if the bug database could distinguish between feature
    requests and bugs.
    it can, but then it gets even worst as you lost the category... a
    feature request being a category.
    We could apply the same workaround as we did for docs, use a status..
    I think it is a bug type (bug, feature request) not a status (closed,
    open, feedback, to be doc'ed, etc.)
    Actually it is a flag as it is an "open" "feature request" in the
    "foobar category". So this might be a checkbox in the GUI ... (just my
    opinion)
    Call it JohnDoe, if you prefer, as long as it allows us to have all
    info (category, status, bug or FR :)
  • Lukas Kahwe Smith at May 4, 2009 at 7:35 pm

    Would it not easier and better to have mysqlnd as default backend for
    the mysql extensions (pdo, mysqli and mysql) when the configure option
    are used without value? I can already imagine the maintenance pains
    and the debugging nightmare for our users while working with a buggy
    libmysql instead of mysqlnd.

    Please note that it is only about using myslqnd by default, not about
    enabling mysqlnd by default (a vote has been done already on that and
    rejected).

    Well atm I would prefer to stick with our current "plan". That being
    said I think in the end it will be the distro vendors that decide what
    will happen anyways. Bringing us back to the entire topic of the need
    for us to build better communication channels to them, so that we are
    in the loop about their needs and decisions and a way to better help
    them make the right decisions.

    regards,
    Lukas Kahwe Smith
    mls@pooteeweet.org