It seems that our PHP_ADD_EXTENSION_DEP() macro from acinclude.m4 does not actually do any
linking against the dependent extension despite the comment in it:

dnl Some systems require that we link $2 to $1 when building

The consequence of this is that if the dependent extension (like igbinary.so) is not
loaded and you try to load your depending extension (like my memcached.so), you'll get an
error:

php: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/php/20060613-debug/memcached.so: undefined
symbol: igbinary_serialize

I asked Wez and he said that the only way to fix it is to do the actual linking which is
what he proposed a while back. Any reason why it hasn't been done?

-Andrei

Search Discussions

  • Andrei Zmievski at Feb 18, 2009 at 8:04 pm
    Anyone? Bueller?

    Andrei Zmievski wrote:
    It seems that our PHP_ADD_EXTENSION_DEP() macro from acinclude.m4 does
    not actually do any linking against the dependent extension despite the
    comment in it:

    dnl Some systems require that we link $2 to $1 when building

    The consequence of this is that if the dependent extension (like
    igbinary.so) is not loaded and you try to load your depending extension
    (like my memcached.so), you'll get an error:

    php: symbol lookup error:
    /usr/local/lib/php/20060613-debug/memcached.so: undefined symbol:
    igbinary_serialize

    I asked Wez and he said that the only way to fix it is to do the actual
    linking which is what he proposed a while back. Any reason why it hasn't
    been done?

    -Andrei

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp