Hi
I am currently involved within Open Solaris community and for the first
time we have recently integrated PHP core runtime as part of base OS.
Currently, I am working on improving the PHP experience and performance
within Open Solaris.

In this regard to fit more with Solaris file layout traditions, we
would like to keep the core PHP modules under /usr/php5/modules and the
user specific downloaded PECL/PEAR modules under /var/php5/modules.
However, if I am not mistaken, PHP core doesn't support loading PHP
modules from more than one location. So, I was wondering if this
feature can be considered within PHP core ?

For example, within PHP.ini , a user can more provide more than 1
location to look for PHP extensions
extension_dir=/usr/php5/modules;/var/php5/modules

so that PHP engine , at the time of startup , can look for the modules
in more than 1 location. Does this sound reasonable to you or is there
a better way to do this

thanks in advance
Sriram

Search Discussions

  • Johannes Schlüter at Mar 31, 2008 at 9:26 pm
    Hi Sririam,
    In this regard to fit more with Solaris file layout traditions, we
    would like to keep the core PHP modules under /usr/php5/modules and the
    user specific downloaded PECL/PEAR modules under /var/php5/modules.
    However, if I am not mistaken, PHP core doesn't support loading PHP
    modules from more than one location. So, I was wondering if this
    feature can be considered within PHP core ?
    For example, within PHP.ini , a user can more provide more than 1
    location to look for PHP extensions
    extension_dir=/usr/php5/modules;/var/php5/modules
    As of PHP 5.3 you can use the full path with the extension= directive in
    php.ini. Additionally you can use identifiers as variables therefore the
    following would be possible:

    extension_dir = /var/php5/modules
    solaris_extension_dir = /usr/php5/modules

    extension=${solaris_extension_dir}/foo.so
    extension=bar.so

    Would that be enough for you? :-)

    johannes
  • Sriram Natarajan at Mar 31, 2008 at 9:59 pm

    Johannes Schlüter wrote:
    Hi Sririam,
[...]

    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, Open Solaris has PHP 5.2.5 and
    we will integrate PHP 5.3 once it is officially released. I guess, I can
    look into the option of back porting this patch for PHP 5.2 series until
    we are ready to move to PHP 5.3 within Open Solaris.

    - Sriram

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedMar 31, '08 at 8:57p