Hi all,

I've heard that E_DEPRECATED is still missing nevertheless its
introduction is planned for 5.3. So I've wrote it [1] based on a
slightly outdated patch by Felipe. The patch is so far complete, as far
as I can tell, but one thing I'm wondering about is whether we should
trigger E_DEPRECATED warnings if the related ini-settings are present
(magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime, register_globals). I would say
yes, but I need some advice where to do that.

For the docs team: I've added links in the E_DEPRECATED messages to
http://php.net/{migrate}#<deprecated func>. The "{migrate}"-part can
later be easily replaced once the appendix to the migration guide which
explains how to deal with this deprecations is set up.

[1] http://lars.schokokeks.org/php/e_deprecated-2.diff

cu, Lars
--
»Aber das Verhältnis von Leben und Produktion, das jenes
real herabsetzt zur ephemeren Erscheinung von dieser, ist

Lars Strojny
Nießenstr. 36
51103 Cologne
Jabber/Mail: lars@strojny.net
Weblog: http://usrportage.de

Search Discussions

  • Marcus Boerger at Feb 16, 2008 at 10:00 am
    Hello Lars,

    thanks for doing the work. I'll apply the patch during next week. And yes
    you should emit deprecation messages for use of INI settings that are going
    to be dropped in 6.0.

    marcus

    I've heard that E_DEPRECATED is still missing nevertheless its
    introduction is planned for 5.3. So I've wrote it [1] based on a
    slightly outdated patch by Felipe. The patch is so far complete, as far
    as I can tell, but one thing I'm wondering about is whether we should
    trigger E_DEPRECATED warnings if the related ini-settings are present
    (magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime, register_globals). I would say
    yes, but I need some advice where to do that.
    For the docs team: I've added links in the E_DEPRECATED messages to
    http://php.net/{migrate}#<deprecated func>. The "{migrate}"-part can
    later be easily replaced once the appendix to the migration guide which
    explains how to deal with this deprecations is set up.
    [1] http://lars.schokokeks.org/php/e_deprecated-2.diff
    cu, Lars

    Best regards,
    Marcus
  • Hannes Magnusson at Feb 16, 2008 at 11:55 am

    For the docs team: I've added links in the E_DEPRECATED messages to
    http://php.net/{migrate}#<deprecated func>. The "{migrate}"-part can
    later be easily replaced once the appendix to the migration guide which
    explains how to deal with this deprecations is set up.
    Those links should probably be created in php_verror(), not manually.
    [1] http://lars.schokokeks.org/php/e_deprecated-2.diff
    get_magic_quotes_runtime() and friends should probably be using
    PHP_DEP_FE, not throwing an error themselves.

    -Hannes
  • Lukas Kahwe Smith at Feb 18, 2008 at 9:33 am

    I've heard that E_DEPRECATED is still missing nevertheless its
    introduction is planned for 5.3. So I've wrote it [1] based on a
    slightly outdated patch by Felipe. The patch is so far complete, as
    far Thx!
    as I can tell, but one thing I'm wondering about is whether we should
    trigger E_DEPRECATED warnings if the related ini-settings are present
    (magic_quotes_gpc, magic_quotes_runtime, register_globals). I would
    say
    yes, but I need some advice where to do that.
    like others have said .. yes .. these should emit deprecated warnings.
    For the docs team: I've added links in the E_DEPRECATED messages to
    http://php.net/{migrate}#<deprecated func>. The "{migrate}"-part can
    later be easily replaced once the appendix to the migration guide
    which
    explains how to deal with this deprecations is set up.
    very cool!
    »Aber das Verhältnis von Leben und Produktion, das jenes
    real herabsetzt zur ephemeren Erscheinung von dieser, ist
    <snip>

    please do follow the mailinglist rules and keep your signature to 2
    lines max:

    in that context i would like to also remind people that they could be
    doing a better job at quoting. this is not about perfection (which is
    probably hard to define on this anyways), but just try to remember
    that a few seconds of effort will save a couple thousand people at
    least as many seconds.

    regards,
    Lukas
  • Lars Strojny at Feb 18, 2008 at 9:54 am
    Hi Lukas,