I've just recently begun writing PHP extensions for the first time. Sara
Golemon's article on extension development has been a priceless resource for
me, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to define a
class, give it methods and properties etc within an extension. Is there any
documentation on this? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

Jordan CM Wambaugh
Software Engineer
ForRent.com
Dominion Enterprises
jordan.wambaugh@forrent.com
AIM: martamius
Phone: 757-351-8300

Search Discussions

  • Stut at Jun 19, 2007 at 6:14 pm

    Jordan Wambaugh wrote:
    I've just recently begun writing PHP extensions for the first time. Sara
    Golemon's article on extension development has been a priceless resource for
    me, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to define a
    class, give it methods and properties etc within an extension. Is there any
    documentation on this? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Buy the book: Extending and Embedding PHP by Sara Goleman.

    It covers classes and a whole lot more. Required reading for anyone
    developing PHP extensions.

    -Stut
  • Muquaddim at Jun 19, 2007 at 6:18 pm
    I think you have to buy the Sara's Book
    Very good book.
  • Pierre at Jun 19, 2007 at 6:19 pm

    Or/and read the sources. PHP or PECL are full of extensions
    implementing classes :)

    --Pierre
  • Johannes Schlüter at Jun 19, 2007 at 11:09 pm
    Hi Jordan,

    next to the book, which is a good reading there are some lsides from
    Marcus at talks.somabo.de (look for "Code Camp" or something like that)
    which give an introduction, but well, slides are always made for being
    explained during a talk :-)

    johannes
    I've just recently begun writing PHP extensions for the first time. Sara
    Golemon's article on extension development has been a priceless resource for
    me, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to define a
    class, give it methods and properties etc within an extension. Is there any
    documentation on this? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks,
  • Gregory Beaver at Jun 19, 2007 at 11:16 pm

    Jordan Wambaugh wrote:
    I've just recently begun writing PHP extensions for the first time. Sara
    Golemon's article on extension development has been a priceless resource for
    me, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to define a
    class, give it methods and properties etc within an extension. Is there any
    documentation on this? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Hi Jordan,

    The extensions in ext/ and pecl/ (particularly the simple ones like
    pecl/spread
    http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/pecl/spread/php_spread.c?view=markup)
    demonstrate the process. I find http://lxr.php.net extremely useful for
    quickly finding the connections in source code.

    Greg

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedJun 19, '07 at 5:53p