Hello,

Andrei asked me to bring up the topic of namespaces again. From the
meeting notes [1] and the following discussion it seems like we agreed
(once more) to include namespace support in PHP6. However after a time
where we saw a flurry of patches, things have died down. Also Marcus
does not seem to have a lot of time to take ownership of this task
(hopefully he might still have time to "mentor" whoever takes over).

Looking at Marcus's comments [2] following the removal of namespaces
from PHP5 due to issues noticed [3] it seems that the two major issues are:
1) finding a separator
2) fixing import

I propose we just move forward with "\" as the separator. It does not
require any fancy changes, so that we can focus on getting the
implementation right. We can always change the separator until the first
stable release if necessary.

A very good summary of the situation can be found here:
http://phpnamespaces.org/wiki/start?rev=1171580102

So Jessie are you still interested? Does anyone with sufficient
ZendEngine2 karma have time to help him get a rock solid implementation
committed?

regards,
Lukas

[1] http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#name-spaces
[2] http://news.php.net/php.internals/2124
[3] http://news.php.net/php.internals/798

Search Discussions

  • Andrei Zmievski at Apr 24, 2007 at 5:11 pm