FAQ
Hi,
I was just wondering. An assignment to $this is not longer possible
in PHP 5. This was agreed upon and everything is fine with that.
However, when trying to assign to $this in PHP 5, this assignment
is silently ignored. I thought it might be useful, or even needed
to issue a notice there. I first thought this was a candidate for
E_STRICT, but now I think it should notice the user at a lower level
already.

Any opinions?

Jan
--

Search Discussions

  • Zeev Suraski at Feb 4, 2004 at 1:57 pm
    Good idea. I added a fatal error. The reason is that there's pretty much
    no chance that someone was doing this and his script will continue working.
    This is definitely something which needs to be fixed by the app developer.

    Andi
    At 15:16 04/02/2004, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering. An assignment to $this is not longer possible
    in PHP 5. This was agreed upon and everything is fine with that.
    However, when trying to assign to $this in PHP 5, this assignment
    is silently ignored. I thought it might be useful, or even needed
    to issue a notice there. I first thought this was a candidate for
    E_STRICT, but now I think it should notice the user at a lower level
    already.

    Any opinions?

    Jan
    --

    --
    PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List
    To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
  • Wez Furlong at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:12 pm
    Woah, real proof that Zeev really is Andi ;-)

    --Wez.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Zeev Suraski" <zeev@zend.com>
    To: "Jan Lehnardt" <jan@prima.de>
    Cc: <internals@lists.php.net>
    Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:57 PM
    Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Assigning to $this

    Good idea. I added a fatal error. The reason is that there's pretty much
    no chance that someone was doing this and his script will continue working.
    This is definitely something which needs to be fixed by the app developer.

    Andi
  • Pierre-Alain Joye at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:13 pm

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:09:56 -0000 "Wez Furlong" wrote:

    Woah, real proof that Zeev really is Andi ;-)
    We got already another proof earlier :-D :
    From: Andi Gutmans <andi@zend.com>
    To: internals@lists.php.net
    Reply-To: zeev@zend.com

    Aka "I'm messed with my clones..." ;-)

    pierre
  • Zeev Suraski at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:22 pm
    Wez,

    You're going to see Zeev on the PHP Cruise and me in Manchester at PawsCon :)
    I expect internals@ will want you to report back afterwards :)

    Andi
    At 16:13 04/02/2004, Pierre-Alain Joye wrote:
    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:09:56 -0000
    "Wez Furlong" wrote:
    Woah, real proof that Zeev really is Andi ;-)
    We got already another proof earlier :-D :
    From: Andi Gutmans <andi@zend.com>
    To: internals@lists.php.net
    Reply-To: zeev@zend.com

    Aka "I'm messed with my clones..." ;-)

    pierre
  • Marco Tabini at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:23 pm

    Zeev Suraski wrote:
    Wez,

    You're going to see Zeev on the PHP Cruise and me in Manchester at
    PawsCon :)
    Yeah, but what about both of you *together*? :-)
  • Zeev Suraski at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:26 pm

    At 16:25 04/02/2004, Marco Tabini wrote:
    Zeev Suraski wrote:
    Wez,
    You're going to see Zeev on the PHP Cruise and me in Manchester at PawsCon :)
    Yeah, but what about both of you *together*? :-)
    Forgot we were in Frankfurt together in 2002? :)

    Andi
  • Lukas Smith at Feb 4, 2004 at 2:29 pm

    Zeev Suraski wrote:
    At 16:25 04/02/2004, Marco Tabini wrote:

    Zeev Suraski wrote:
    Wez,
    You're going to see Zeev on the PHP Cruise and me in Manchester at
    PawsCon :)

    Yeah, but what about both of you *together*? :-)

    Forgot we were in Frankfurt together in 2002? :)
    for 1 day .. not enough time to poke the andi fake long enough to proof
    that it was an actor!

    regards,
    Lukas Smith
    smith@backendmedia.com
    _______________________________
    BackendMedia
    www.backendmedia.com
    berlin@backendmedia.com

    Linn Zwoch Smith GbR
    Pariser Str. 44
    D-10707 Berlin

    Tel +49 30 83 22 50 00
    Fax +49 30 83 22 50 07
  • John Coggeshall at Feb 4, 2004 at 4:21 pm
    LOL! :) "... Zeev Suraski wrote..."
    On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 09:26, Zeev Suraski wrote:
    Forgot we were in Frankfurt together in 2002? :)

    Andi
    --
    -=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=-
    John Coggeshall http://www.coggeshall.org/
    The PHP Developer's Handbook http://www.php-handbook.com/
    -=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=--=~=-

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedFeb 4, '04 at 1:17p
activeFeb 4, '04 at 4:21p
posts9
users7
websitephp.net

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase