Looking at the sources I was surprised to see concurrency problems with
logging.
Multiple processes/threads seem to freely open, write and close the log file
without
bothering about any synchronization.

The function php_log_error() seems to be the function that finally writes to
the
the log file specified in php.ini.
This implementation could lead to a loss of logging information on heavy
loads.

Would that be correct ? If so, perhaps I (or someone else) could work on
fixing it.

-- Roshan

Search Discussions

  • Rasmus Lerdorf at May 16, 2003 at 1:42 am

    Looking at the sources I was surprised to see concurrency problems with
    logging.
    Multiple processes/threads seem to freely open, write and close the log file
    without
    bothering about any synchronization.

    The function php_log_error() seems to be the function that finally writes to
    the
    the log file specified in php.ini.
    This implementation could lead to a loss of logging information on heavy
    loads.

    Would that be correct ? If so, perhaps I (or someone else) could work on
    fixing it.
    We are only appending to the log file. Are you saying that you are on a
    non-Posix OS where file appends are not atomic?

    -Rasmus

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedMay 16, '03 at 12:53a