FAQ
Apparently the changes you made to cleanup the ini settings
forcing in CLI do not work as expected:

<?php

var_dump(ini_get('register_argc_argv'));
var_dump(ini_get('html_errors'));
var_dump(ini_get('display_errors'));
var_dump(ini_get('implicit_flush'));
var_dump(ini_get('max_execution_time'));

?>

Results with CLI build before the changes were merged:

string(1) "1"
string(1) "0"
string(1) "1"
string(1) "1"
string(1) "0"

Results with latest CVS checkout (PHP_4_3 branch):

string(1) "1"
string(1) "0"
string(1) "1"
string(0) ""
string(2) "30"

When '-n' is used (to not use any php.ini) both builds work fine.
So, are these not supposed to be forced defaults anymore for CLI?

--Jani

Search Discussions

  • Marcus Börger at Apr 16, 2003 at 5:58 am

    At 05:03 16.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:
    When '-n' is used (to not use any php.ini) both builds work fine.
    So, are these not supposed to be forced defaults anymore for CLI?

    They only overwrite the settings for -n now. The key idea was
    that the user should be able to change the values by all three
    mechanisms: "-d" option, php-cli.ini and ini_set(). If there
    were any ini setting that really needed to overwrite the ini
    file always we could do that, too (but i don't see a need for it).

    marcus
  • Jani Taskinen at Apr 17, 2003 at 11:33 pm

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Marcus Börger wrote:
    At 05:03 16.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:

    When '-n' is used (to not use any php.ini) both builds work fine.
    So, are these not supposed to be forced defaults anymore for CLI?

    They only overwrite the settings for -n now. The key idea was
    that the user should be able to change the values by all three
    mechanisms: "-d" option, php-cli.ini and ini_set(). If there
    were any ini setting that really needed to overwrite the ini
    file always we could do that, too (but i don't see a need for it).
    You effectively broke BC with this change.

    See the ext/pcntl/tests/001.phpt which now fails because of this.
    It assumes implicit_flush is always 'On' as it only runs in CLI.
    I would guess some other people have made the same assumption..

    The settings were "hardcoded" for CLI for a reason, so please
    make these behave like they did before.

    --Jani
  • Marcus Börger at Apr 18, 2003 at 10:40 am

    At 01:33 18.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:
    You effectively broke BC with this change.

    See the ext/pcntl/tests/001.phpt which now fails because of this.
    It assumes implicit_flush is always 'On' as it only runs in CLI.
    I would guess some other people have made the same assumption..

    The settings were "hardcoded" for CLI for a reason, so please
    make these behave like they did before.

    implicit_flush *may* be the exception which *could* still be done.
    However the change was on the TODO of CLI so i would favor
    fixing the tests by use of --INI-- section.

    marcus
  • Marcus Börger at Apr 19, 2003 at 5:41 pm

    At 01:33 18.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:
    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Marcus Börger wrote:
    At 05:03 16.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:

    When '-n' is used (to not use any php.ini) both builds work fine.
    So, are these not supposed to be forced defaults anymore for CLI?

    They only overwrite the settings for -n now. The key idea was
    that the user should be able to change the values by all three
    mechanisms: "-d" option, php-cli.ini and ini_set(). If there
    were any ini setting that really needed to overwrite the ini
    file always we could do that, too (but i don't see a need for it).
    You effectively broke BC with this change.

    See the ext/pcntl/tests/001.phpt which now fails because of this.
    It assumes implicit_flush is always 'On' as it only runs in CLI.
    I would guess some other people have made the same assumption..

    The settings were "hardcoded" for CLI for a reason, so please
    make these behave like they did before.

    It is more likely that you use an ini file that is not appropriate, means
    we have to
    add more ini defaults in run-tests.php. For me everything is just fine
    whether that
    implicit_flush is On or Off doesn't make a difference for me.

    marcus
  • Jani Taskinen at Apr 21, 2003 at 2:13 pm

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Marcus Börger wrote:
    At 01:33 18.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:
    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Marcus Börger wrote:
    At 05:03 16.04.2003, Jani Taskinen wrote:

    When '-n' is used (to not use any php.ini) both builds work fine.
    So, are these not supposed to be forced defaults anymore for CLI?

    They only overwrite the settings for -n now. The key idea was
    that the user should be able to change the values by all three
    mechanisms: "-d" option, php-cli.ini and ini_set(). If there
    were any ini setting that really needed to overwrite the ini
    file always we could do that, too (but i don't see a need for it).
    You effectively broke BC with this change.

    See the ext/pcntl/tests/001.phpt which now fails because of this.
    It assumes implicit_flush is always 'On' as it only runs in CLI.
    I would guess some other people have made the same assumption..

    The settings were "hardcoded" for CLI for a reason, so please
    make these behave like they did before.

    It is more likely that you use an ini file that is not appropriate, means
    we have to add more ini defaults in run-tests.php. For me everything is
    just fine whether that implicit_flush is On or Off doesn't make a difference for me.
    What part in "you broke BC" you don't understand?
    It worked BEFORE your patch, it doesn't work AFTER your patch.
    (I had the same php.ini for both tests)

    --Jani

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedApr 16, '03 at 3:03a
activeApr 21, '03 at 2:13p
posts6
users2
websitephp.net

2 users in discussion

Marcus Börger: 3 posts Jani Taskinen: 3 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase