We are running identical web applications with two different hosts. Both
are LAMP.

With one of hosts, we are having reports of users seeing "Page not
displayed" or "403 Forbidden" after submitting forms. These forms are
always sending data to the same page from which they started and the
problem is not consistent. (ie. sometimes the forms work fine, sometimes
they deliver the error). The problem only seems to have occurred with
users on IE and mostly who are a significant distance from the server.

This does not seem to be occurring at the other host.

The problem host is not being responsive about solving the problem
(which will cost them our business). Could this be a PHP time-out issue?
Something in the PHP settings or is it likely a server issue or
something else.

Your expertise - as always - is much appreciated!

Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Andrés Robinet at Nov 23, 2007 at 7:48 am
    I would check the follwing:
    - If the problematic host has apache's mod_security enabled. The system
    administrator can tell you if mod_security is disallowing some of the input
    (which might cause the "403 forbidden").
    - PHP.INI parameters max_execution_time, max_input_time and
    max_input_nesting_level (more info is at the online php manual) you can
    query these values through ini_get, and you can set them through .htaccess
    files, e.g. "php_value max_execution_time 300" (if the hosting company
    allows their use).
    - Call ignore_user_abort at the top of the processing script (CAREFULLY read
    the notes for that function) and query the value returned by
    connection_status, or connection_aborted (maybe create a log file for the
    returnded values through successive requests to keep track of any issue)
    - Check what (cache) headers the server or your processing script is sending
    to the browser.
    - Also, if $_REQUEST processing is a time consuming operation and you use
    ob_start, ob_end_flush, etc you can try flushing the output buffer from time
    to time (if your programming logic allows for that).

    Well, this is quite a list... but if they are getting "403 forbidden" it
    might be an issue with the server configuration (such as a highly restricted
    mod_security configuration), rather than server performance or speed. Hope
    that helps.

    Ohh, by the way, if you can send the culprit URL to us for testing it will
    help a lot (BUT DON'T DO THAT if this is a private system, or a system for
    which you don't want to get any additional traffic).

    Rob

    Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
    5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
    TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
    Email: info@bestplace.net  | MSN Chat: best@bestplace.net  |  SKYPE:
    bestplace |  Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com