Hello guys,

I'm wondering if you care about switching from jpgraph to something like
chart.js on doc.php.net. It isn't any blocker issue but maybe we could
just benefit from such move?

Advantages
- we can't keep jpgraph in our git repo, that's a serious problem IMO -
chart.js can either be versioned or pulled from CDN (I'm not sure what's
preffered here)
- we would get rid of big 3rd party library written years ago for
ancient versions of PHP
- charts produced by jpGraph aren't pretty (that's, of course, purely
subjective and it's not a big deal, but something we can take into
consideration)

Disadvantages
- limited browser support
(http://www.chartjs.org/docs/#notes-browser-support)
- charts are rendered client-side (what can also be an advantage,
depending on a point of view)

Like I said on the beginning, it isn't something very important for me -
just a humble proposal/question. Chart.js could be also replaced by any
other library, but I think it's a sane choice.

Cheers,
Maciej.

---

  • Jesus M. Castagnetto at Mar 21, 2016 at 7:05 pm
    IMHO this is a good idea. Simplifies upkeep, and for the few charts that
    are being used.

    What I am not sure is where are we putting generated charts in the PHP
    manual? (I am old and forgetful :-)

    Cheers

    --
    Jesus M. Castagnetto <jesus@castagnetto.com>
    Web: http://www.castagnetto.com/
[...]

    antywirusowe Avast.
  • Hannes Magnusson at Mar 28, 2016 at 3:07 am
    Its not the manual, its the translation overview :)

    Maciej: Yes please.

    -Hannes

    On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Jesus M. Castagnetto
[...]

  • Peter Cowburn at Apr 1, 2016 at 3:22 pm

    Its not the manual, its the translation overview :)

    Maciej: Yes please.
    Indeed, yes please Maciej. :)

[...]

  • Maciej Sobaczewski at Apr 2, 2016 at 6:30 am
    Hi,

    I am busy this weekend but I will send Pull Request on Monday.

    BTW: What is prefered approach - hosting file on our server and in VPS
    or pulling it from CDN?

    Have a good day,
    Maciej.

    chart.js on doc.php.net <http://doc.php.net>. It isn't any
[...]