Dear PEAR developers,

The PEAR project is extremely impressive but - coming from a
non-professional developer who has struggled more than two months with
getting to grips with just one or two modules - what a steep learning
curve!

The technology, installers and coding standards all seem to be
perfectly worked out, but easily accessible documentation and
particularly examples are so lacking that most developers would rather
fiddle with self-developed libraries then invest the time to learn to
use PEAR. Isn't this a pity for a project that is supposed to give
developers such easy yet complete class libraries that they can get
beyond doing the "plumbing" themselves?

I understand that it is hard to find volunteers to write documentation.
But if you allow me just one crucial suggestion: PLEASE ADD a "User
Contributed Notes" section under every documentation page like the PHP
manual does. That way users who have written some good examples could
just post the code, and references to tutorials and articles could be
posted right beneath the function discussed in stead of in its separate
section.

This all seems to work rather well on the PHP website. Wouldn't the
success of PEAR be greatly enhanced by following the same model there
and letting the community create accessible documentation for itself?

Just my €0.02...

With kind regards from Zurich

--
Roland Siebelink MBA
Managing Director

Avalu Ltd./AG - Management Consulting for the Individual
Technoparkstrasse 1
CH-8005 Zurich, Switzerland
www.avalu.biz

Challenge your management thinking!
<http://www.avalu.biz/newsletter>

Search Discussions

  • Daniel Convissor at Nov 20, 2004 at 3:19 pm
    Hi Roland: