Hey Luca,

I'm a little surprised there is no release of Net_SSH2 yet. Is there
anything we can help you with to move this forward? Looks like it's
been a long while actually.

Till

Search Discussions

  • Thomas Anderson at Apr 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm
    I think phpseclib's Net_SSH2 has far eclipsed this one:

    http://phpseclib.sourceforge.net/

    It requires neither the libssh2 extension be installed or OpenSSH be
    installed. As a pure PHP implementation it just works and is
    extremely portable. Private keys don't need to live on the local file
    system, a much wider array of private key formats are supported and,
    at least when compared to libssh2, phpseclib is faster:

    http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/make_ssh_connections_with_php/#comment_3759

    It also logs SSH and SFTP sessions in a way that neither libssh2 or
    OpenSSH can. Granted, that's probably only useful if you are actually
    familiar with the SSH protocol, but the flip side is that even if you
    aren't, those logs give the phpseclib developer an ability to diagnose
    and debug problems that the author of PEAR's Net_SSH2 quite simply
    doesn't have.

    I, personally, think phpseclib's Net_SSH2 should be incorporated into
    PEAR somehow. There are just a few problems with doing so: phpseclib
    wouldn't just replace Net_SSH2 - it'd replace Crypt_RSA as well. It
    also doesn't completely follow the current PEAR coding standards. The
    phpseclib developer is pretty insistent on supporting PHP4, which
    means that they use var $varname instead of public / private /
    protected $varname. The license is compatible (LGPL for the latest
    release, MIT for the latest SVN) and the indentation standards are, as
    well.
    I'm a little surprised there is no release of Net_SSH2 yet. Is there
    anything we can help you with to move this forward? Looks like it's
    been a long while actually.

    Till

  • Till at Apr 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm
    Yeah, I noticed phpseclib too. Using sockets could be a third driver — maybe
    he can team up with Luca to make it happen.

    PHP5 is a must though.

    Till