Hi guys,

Time for some spring cleaning efforts, part 1.

Here's the latest list of packages that are supposedly still v1
package xml in latest release.
It would be nice to go through these, upgrade and also set proper deps
on it, especially PHP deps - PHP 5 etc.
The inconsistency we have on pear.php.net/packages.php with PHP 4 +
PHP 5 total number not being equal to what is said when someone picks
All is partially because we have releases that don't even have a PHP
dep :)

Please let me know if there are any false positives in this so I can
tweak this script.

Anyone doing upgrades, if you see trivial bug reports on the package
and the maintainer is not responding to even do the package.xml fix or
is known not to be willing to upgrade, fix those bugs please at the
same time. Also if the package is PHP licenesed then ask if the person
would be willing to move to New BSD or MIT or any other license.

I know this is asking a lot but we should try to do things only once,
not multiple QA releases.

So to summary:
* Pick a package
* Figure out if the maintainer(s) are still around
* If they are
* Ask them to upgrade the package xml
* If the package has PHP license, ask if MIT or New BSD license
would be an option
* If they are not willing, do it your self, look at bug report
and see what can be fixed in a pinch
* Make sure the deps are all correct
* If they are not
* Mark the package as unmaintained or deprecated as required
* Upgrade package.xml
* Fix bugs that don't require you to spend hours on the package
* Try to contact contributors if the package is PHP licensed so
that a new license can be put on it
* Make sure the deps are all correct, especially the PHP ones

Archive_Zip
Auth_PrefManager2
Contact_Vcard_Build
Contact_Vcard_Parse
Crypt_HMAC
Crypt_RC4
DB_odbtp
DB_Sqlite_Tools
Event_Dispatcher
File_DICOM
File_DNS
File_Find
File_Fstab
File_IMC
Gtk_MDB_Designer
Gtk_ScrollingLabel
HTML_Form
HTML_Javascript
HTML_Page
HTML_QuickForm_SelectFilter
HTML_Safe
HTML_Select
HTML_Select_Common
HTML_Table_Matrix
HTML_Template_Xipe
HTTP_Header
HTTP_Server
HTTP_SessionServer
HTTP_Upload
HTTP_WebDAV_Server
I18N
I18Nv2
I18N_UnicodeString
Image_Color2
Image_GIS
Image_Graph
Image_IPTC
Image_Puzzle
Image_WBMP
Inline_C
LiveUser_Admin
Mail_IMAP
Mail_IMAPv2
Math_Basex
Math_BinaryUtils
Math_Complex
Math_Fibonacci
Math_Finance
Math_Histogram
Math_Integer
Math_Matrix
Math_Polynomial
Math_Quaternion
Math_RPN
Math_Stats
Math_TrigOp
Math_Vector
MDB
MDB2_Driver_fbsql
Message
MP3_Playlist
Net_Cyrus
Net_Dict
Net_Dig
Net_DNS
Net_GameServerQuery
Net_Geo
Net_GeoIP
Net_Growl
Net_HL7
Net_Ident
Net_IPv4
Net_IRC
Net_LMTP
Net_Monitor
Net_POP3
Net_Portscan
Net_SmartIRC
Net_SMPP
Net_SMPP_Client
Net_SMS
Pager_Sliding
PEAR_Delegator
PEAR_Frontend_Gtk
PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend
PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend_Web
PEAR_PackageFileManager_GUI_Gtk
PHPDoc
PHPUnit
PHPUnit2
RDF
RDF_N3
RDF_NTriple
RDF_RDQL
Science_Chemistry
ScriptReorganizer
Search_Mnogosearch
Services_Delicious
Services_DynDNS
Services_Ebay
Services_Webservice
Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer
SQL_Parser
Stream_SHM
Stream_Var
Structures_Graph
System_Mount
System_ProcWatch
System_SharedMemory
System_Socket
Text_Huffman
Text_PathNavigator
Text_Statistics
Text_TeXHyphen
Text_Wiki_BBCode
Text_Wiki_Cowiki
Text_Wiki_Doku
Text_Wiki_Mediawiki
Text_Wiki_Tiki
Translation
Validate_AR
Validate_AT
Validate_DE
Validate_ES
Validate_FR
Validate_IS
Validate_NZ
XML_CSSML
XML_FastCreate
XML_fo2pdf
XML_HTMLSax
XML_image2svg
XML_Indexing
XML_MXML
XML_NITF
XML_RDDL
XML_RPC
XML_RSS
XML_SaxFilters
XML_Statistics
XML_SVG
XML_svg2image
XML_Tree
XML_Wddx
XML_XUL

Found 145 packages with only package xml v1 format in latest release

Search Discussions

  • Daniel O'Connor at Apr 15, 2009 at 3:18 am

[...]

    See also:
    http://wiki.php.net/pear/packages/migration

    Has some notes regarding certain packages; data *is* out of date from
    Helgi's.
  • Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson at Apr 15, 2009 at 3:24 am

    Has some notes regarding certain packages; data *is* out of date from
    Helgi's.
    Just to be clear, the list I showed is from a script I ran against our
    database minutes ago, so my list represents latest releases of each of
    those packages. So take my list with a pinch of salt and compare
    against Daniels list as well - Could be handy if we had a queue for
    packages that have been upgraded but not released (and for those,
    please go over them again with the points I mentioned above! :-) lets
    make the most of the release )

    - Helgi
  • Laurent Laville at Apr 15, 2009 at 5:45 am
    Hi Helgi,
    Has some notes regarding certain packages; data *is* out of date from
    Helgi's.
    Just to be clear, the list I showed is from a script I ran against our
    database minutes ago, so my list represents latest releases of each of
    those packages. So take my list with a pinch of salt and compare
    against Daniels list as well - Could be handy if we had a queue for
    packages that have been upgraded but not released (and for those,
    please go over them again with the points I mentioned above! :-) lets
    make the most of the release )

    - Helgi
    As already mentionned in Daniel's list
    - PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend (unmaintained, wontfix, laurent)
    - PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend_Web (unmaintained, wontfix, laurent)

    And I won't do any operation on those 2 packages. My main reason is :
    - avoid to encourage end-users to download or upgrade their copy (as it
    was done in past for HTML_Progress, while HTML_Progress2 continue to live)

    Hope you, and QA team understand my opinion !

    Regards,
  • Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson at Apr 15, 2009 at 5:51 am
    Hi,

    - PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend (unmaintained, wontfix, laurent)
    - PEAR_PackageFileManager_Frontend_Web (unmaintained, wontfix, laurent)

    And I won't do any operation on those 2 packages. My main reason is :
    - avoid to encourage end-users to download or upgrade their copy (as it was
    done in past for HTML_Progress, while HTML_Progress2 continue to live)

    Hope you, and QA team understand my opinion !
    If it's on Daniels list then it's fine and noted by QA - My list is
    simply checking the real database, there are not exclusion rules in
    that script. You might notice that PHPUnit and PHPUnit2 are also in
    there and they are known "won't fix" guys as well.

    - Helgi
  • Ken Guest at Apr 15, 2009 at 8:13 am
[...]

    I think we should try to keep the number of options here down to a minimum -
    I doubt we want a bigger headache of more licenses being introduced ;-)

    I understand the reason for moving away from the PHP License (it makes some
    repackagers/distros not want to include PHP Licensed packages in their
    systems - license incompatibilities etc).

    Makes me think that the list at
    http://pear.php.net/group/docs/20040402-la.php needs to be revised - we
    should remove the PHP License from that list. Leaving us with the following:

    - Apache <http://www.apache.org/licenses/>
    - LGPL <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html>
    - BSD style <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>
    - MIT <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html>