Grokbase Groups PHP pear-qa July 2005
QA,

I'd like to propose making myself maintainer of Net_Curl (Philippe
Jausions has also expressed interest in helping me out with
Net_Curl). The package has languished without a release for well over
a year and the maintainer hasn't posted to *any* PEAR list for over a
year as well. People get busy, that's understandable.

Apparently, at some point David Costa was looking for another
maintainer for Net_Curl. With my other PEAR package, Payment_Process,
depending on Net_Curl (the only package which does) it's a good fit I
think.

Considering the above, combined with the fact that I've fixed all of
the outstanding bugs for Net_Curl and also added new features, I
don't see any reason to wait around. The maintainer obviously doesn't
have much of an interest in maintaining this package and my package,
in turn, is suffering.

Thoughts? Should I be posting this elsewhere?

Thanks!

--Joe

ps. I'm literally waiting for approval to CVS up my changes and put
out a release of both Net_Curl and Payment_Process.

Search Discussions

  • Arnaud Limbourg at Jul 18, 2005 at 6:20 pm

    Joe Stump wrote:

[...]

    Hello,

    I have just made you lead of the package. For full disclosure I haven't
    talked to David but I believe we can work something out when he steps up :)

    Arnaud.
  • Arnaud Limbourg at Jul 18, 2005 at 6:23 pm

    Arnaud Limbourg wrote:

    Joe Stump wrote:
[...]

    Follow-up, that means : GO :)

    Arnaud.
  • Joe Stump at Jul 18, 2005 at 6:35 pm
    OK, now that I'm the maintainer (thanks, btw), I'd like to know what
    the procedure is for renaming or yanking a release. I have *HUGE*
    issues with the current release numbering conventions:

    0.2 (stable)
    1.0.1beta (beta)

    Holy crap, does that *NOT* make sense or what? I'm now forced to up
    my current numbering to 2.0 (as the API has changed slightly). Is
    there any way that I can move 1.0.1beta to be 0.4 beta and then name
    my new release 0.8 beta or something?

    *Sigh* I guess I could just name mine 1.2.0 and call it a beta and
    move forward from there.

    Thoughts?

    --Joe

[...]

  • Arnaud Limbourg at Jul 18, 2005 at 8:08 pm
    Hi,

    Well, if the API has changed that is a problem. The release history of
    this particular package is a mess, but it has been downloaded more than
    12,000 times now. If there a way you can keep full BC (meaning no API
    change) ? After that you can name it 1.1.0 or 1.2.0.

    Moving the package would mean deleting 1.0.1 beta, thus breaking every
    install out there, it is out of question :=)

    Arnaud.

    Joe Stump wrote:
[...]

grouppear-qa @
categoriesphp
postedJul 14, '05 at 5:00p
activeJul 18, '05 at 8:08p
websitepear.php.net

2 users in discussion

Arnaud Limbourg: 3 posts Joe Stump: 2 posts