FAQ
Hi,

I'd like to allow QA to fix coding standards and whitespace issues and
commit them to CVS for my new package XML_XUL.

Is there already a list of packages for which you got allowance?

Stephan

Search Discussions

  • Lukas Smith at Mar 14, 2004 at 5:41 pm

    Stephan Schmidt wrote:
    Hi,

    I'd like to allow QA to fix coding standards and whitespace issues and
    commit them to CVS for my new package XML_XUL.

    Is there already a list of packages for which you got allowance?
    http://pear.dnsalias.net/wiki/view.php?wiki=Main&page=QACSFixOked

    regards,
    Lukas Smith
    smith@backendmedia.com
    _______________________________
    BackendMedia
    www.backendmedia.com
    berlin@backendmedia.com

    Linn Zwoch Smith GbR
    Pariser Str. 44
    D-10707 Berlin

    Tel +49 30 83 22 50 00
    Fax +49 30 83 22 50 07
  • Matthias Nothhaft at Mar 14, 2004 at 8:58 pm
    Hi,

    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?

    Just another package idea ;-)

    Regards,
    Matthias



    Lukas Smith wrote:
    Stephan Schmidt wrote:
    Hi,

    I'd like to allow QA to fix coding standards and whitespace issues and
    commit them to CVS for my new package XML_XUL.

    Is there already a list of packages for which you got allowance?

    http://pear.dnsalias.net/wiki/view.php?wiki=Main&page=QACSFixOked

    regards,
    Lukas Smith
    smith@backendmedia.com
    _______________________________
    BackendMedia
    www.backendmedia.com
    berlin@backendmedia.com

    Linn Zwoch Smith GbR
    Pariser Str. 44
    D-10707 Berlin

    Tel +49 30 83 22 50 00
    Fax +49 30 83 22 50 07
  • Lukas Smith at Mar 14, 2004 at 9:05 pm

    Matthias Nothhaft wrote:

    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?
    Sure, however automagical changes are not what I want to see happen at
    commit time. However we can see if we can integrate it more tightly with
    the release process. As some of you may have noticed "pear package"
    throws warnings if you dont prefix things properly. We could have the
    same for CS violations. However at some point we may also need to be
    able to specify a list of "I know, but its still right" setting. For
    example on every MDB release I get a tons of warnings now because of the
    pear db and metabase wrappers.

    regards,
    Lukas Smith

    PS: Matthias, please dont "top-post". Only inclide the relevant parts of
    the previous email and put your reply underneath them.
  • Matthias Nothhaft at Mar 14, 2004 at 9:48 pm

    Hi Lukas Smith, you wrote:

    Matthias Nothhaft wrote:
    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?

    Sure, however automagical changes are not what I want to see happen at
    commit time.
    My 'automagically' is more a 'by a script' and I see a 'PHP_Beautifier'
    as a common tool for people who need a tool to make a script
    'human readable' (based on PEAR CS) like XML_Beautifier does it with XML
    docs.

    However we can see if we can integrate it more tightly with
    the release process. As some of you may have noticed "pear package"
    throws warnings if you dont prefix things properly. We could have the
    same for CS violations. However at some point we may also need to be
    able to specify a list of "I know, but its still right" setting. For
    example on every MDB release I get a tons of warnings now because of the
    pear db and metabase wrappers.
    A 'PHP_Beautifier' could be used as an optional part of packaging
    or simply an independant cli tool. It could suggest cs fixes and prompt
    a 'Yes/No?' for each one.

    Exeptions could be placed in package.xml !?
    Or maybe one could 'invent' a comment to mark code that may not be
    parsed be the beautifier. Another way could also be an optional 'cs.xml'.

    Regards,
    Matthias
    regards,
    Lukas Smith

    PS: Matthias, please dont "top-post". Only inclide the relevant parts of
    the previous email and put your reply underneath them.
    PS: fine now?
    Maybe one could also write a mail beautifier or a 'reject on mail cs
    violations' ;-)
    No, you're always right, Lukas, I was just too lazy...
  • Stefan Neufeind at Mar 14, 2004 at 10:48 pm

    On 14 Mar 2004 at 22:45, Matthias Nothhaft wrote:

    Hi Lukas Smith, you wrote:
    Matthias Nothhaft wrote:
    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?

    Sure, however automagical changes are not what I want to see happen
    at commit time.
    My 'automagically' is more a 'by a script' and I see a
    'PHP_Beautifier' as a common tool for people who need a tool to make a
    script 'human readable' (based on PEAR CS) like XML_Beautifier does it
    with XML docs.
    Well, as a first step how if we get a normal package PHP_Beautifier
    into PEAR? But imho it should be possible to fine-tune it with
    various settings, so if you use a different CS at work (many
    companies have strict CS) and they want you to indent differently or
    so you could simply change a config-file and tell the beautifier to
    use those other presets.

    I'm in favor of a PHP_Beautifier. So Matthias, was this an offer
    you're going to write one? Nice, really! Go ahead ...

    Stefan
  • Lukas Smith at Mar 14, 2004 at 10:50 pm

    Stefan Neufeind wrote:

    On 14 Mar 2004 at 22:45, Matthias Nothhaft wrote:

    Hi Lukas Smith, you wrote:

    Matthias Nothhaft wrote:

    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?

    Sure, however automagical changes are not what I want to see happen
    at commit time.
    My 'automagically' is more a 'by a script' and I see a
    'PHP_Beautifier' as a common tool for people who need a tool to make a
    script 'human readable' (based on PEAR CS) like XML_Beautifier does it
    with XML docs.

    Well, as a first step how if we get a normal package PHP_Beautifier
    into PEAR? But imho it should be possible to fine-tune it with
    various settings, so if you use a different CS at work (many
    companies have strict CS) and they want you to indent differently or
    so you could simply change a config-file and tell the beautifier to
    use those other presets.

    I'm in favor of a PHP_Beautifier. So Matthias, was this an offer
    you're going to write one? Nice, really! Go ahead ...
    Search the pear-dev archive (or pear-general). We have had discussions
    on this.

    regards,
    Lukas Smith
    smith@backendmedia.com
    _______________________________
    BackendMedia
    www.backendmedia.com
    berlin@backendmedia.com

    Linn Zwoch Smith GbR
    Pariser Str. 44
    D-10707 Berlin

    Tel +49 30 83 22 50 00
    Fax +49 30 83 22 50 07
  • Tobias Schlitt at Mar 15, 2004 at 7:05 am
    Hi!

    Greg is working on a new version of PHP_Parser, which will allow such
    "beautifiing" quite nicely.

    Regards,
    Toby

    --
    Tobias Schlitt
    a passion for php http://www.schlitt.info
  • Stephan Schmidt at Mar 15, 2004 at 8:32 am
    Hi,
    I'm in favor of a PHP_Beautifier. So Matthias, was this an offer
    you're going to write one? Nice, really! Go ahead ...
    It's not PHP script, but it provides most of the features needed by PEAR:
    http://www.phpedit.net/products/phpCodeBeautifier/

    Stephan
  • Jon Parise at Mar 15, 2004 at 1:48 am

    On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:56:11PM +0100, Matthias Nothhaft wrote:

    did anyone thought about a 'PHP_Beautifier' for
    automagically PEAR CS compliant code cleanup?

    Just another package idea ;-)
    I think it would be preferable to compile a compliant set of indent(1)
    rules instead of writing a full-blown package.

    --
    Jon Parise (jon@php.net) :: The PHP Project (http://www.php.net/)
  • Greg Beaver at Mar 16, 2004 at 6:27 pm
    indent wouldn't be able to monkey with CS inside of a docblock, whereas
    a beautifier based on PHP_Parser will. Also, naming CS issues will be
    resolvable.

    Greg

    Jon Parise wrote:
    I think it would be preferable to compile a compliant set of indent(1)
    rules instead of writing a full-blown package.
  • Stefan Neufeind at Mar 16, 2004 at 6:30 pm
    So Greg, for the record: Will we wait until you come up with
    something based on PHP_Parser?

    Stefan
    On 16 Mar 2004 at 13:27, Greg Beaver wrote:

    indent wouldn't be able to monkey with CS inside of a docblock, whereas
    a beautifier based on PHP_Parser will. Also, naming CS issues will be
    resolvable.

    Jon Parise wrote:
    I think it would be preferable to compile a compliant set of indent(1)
    rules instead of writing a full-blown package.
  • Greg Beaver at Mar 16, 2004 at 6:44 pm
    Hi,

    You can do whatever you wish, but be aware that when the next PHP_Parser
    is released, writing PHP_Beautifier will be a lot simpler.

    I believe Tobias was interested in working on the actual beautifier,
    which would make me happy, I really shouldn't add any other projects to
    my list, or nothing will ever get done. Since none of my other projects
    depend on a working beautifier, this is ultra-low priority for me.

    phpDocumentor 2 depends on PHP_Parser,
    PHP_Parser depends on Error_Stack or whatever it will be called
    obviously, all of them depend on PEAR for installation at least.

    Games_Chess is my only non-directed fun package atm :).

    Greg

    Stefan Neufeind wrote:
    So Greg, for the record: Will we wait until you come up with
    something based on PHP_Parser?

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppear-qa @
categoriesphp
postedMar 14, '04 at 10:06a
activeMar 16, '04 at 6:44p
posts13
users7
websitepear.php.net

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase