Edit report at http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=17070&edit=1

ID: 17070
Updated by: [email protected]
Reported By: micdhack at freemail dot gr
Summary: UTF8 charset works but some characters appear as
double question marks ??
Status: Bogus
Type: Bug
Package: Mail_Mime
Operating System: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server
Package Version: 1.6.0
PHP Version: 5.2.4
-Roadmap Versions: 1.6.1
+Roadmap Versions:
New Comment:

-Roadmap Versions: 1.6.1
+Roadmap Versions:

Previous Comments:

[2010-02-06 18:20:39] alec

-Status: Open
+Status: Bogus
Thank you for taking the time to write to us, but this is not
a bug.

Expected behaviour.


[2010-02-06 18:18:33] alec

This text is encoded properly, RFC compliant and works for me. I assume
it's your mail client issue.


[2010-02-06 16:59:16] micdhack

Note: all the greek letters where converted here into ? but i believe
you get the point.


[2010-02-06 16:57:43] micdhack

-Status: Feedback
+Status: Open


[2010-02-06 16:57:00] micdhack

The example that i gave here was a made up one. Normally i take this
value from mysql from a utf8 field. Since the string that i receive in
my email is almost fully readable expect for that one letter i decided
to investigate the header information stored in the db by mail_queue and
i think i found where the problem lies.

So here is the headers from the db:

charset=utf-8";s:12:"MIME-Version";s:3:"1.0";s:2:"To";s:23:"tsik[email protected]";s:4:"From";s:29:"UrCity
<[email protected]>";s:7:"Subject";s:182:"=?utf-8?Q?=CE=A3=CE=BA=CE=BF=CF=85=CF=80=CE=AF=CE=B4=CE=B9=CE?=

=?utf-8?Q?_information_being_edited...?=";s:4:"Date";s:31:"Sat, 06 Feb
2010 18:36:33 +0200";}

So i tried to step by step identify the letters to see if there was a
mistake there. For each letter there is a =XX=XX
So for the word we have:
? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ?

As you can see the final letter cannot be completed because the line is
split and there is an interaption. So that leads to the ? being a ??.

After transfering the =B1 next to the =CE the letter appeared

So i tried to see which function create the issue. So i printed the
headers after the $hdrs = $this->mime->headers($hdrs,true); and the
subject part of the array was this:

[Subject] =>

So improrer splitting of the text looks like the number one suspect. So
splitting the line should always be if a complete set of =XX=XX is being
written otherwise the whole sequence should be transfered in the next


The remainder of the comments for this report are too long. To view
the rest of the comments, please view the bug report online at

Search Discussions

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppear-bugs @
postedMar 8, '10 at 7:17a
activeMar 8, '10 at 7:17a

1 user in discussion

Alec: 1 post



site design / logo © 2023 Grokbase