Strawberry Perl is my go-to package for getting a sane development
environment in Windows. Just today, I was trying to install App::Ack on an
old Dell, and found Strawberry Perl very helpful in the process. Compiling
modules with C extensions like ack requires
make<https://github.com/petdance/ack2/issues/255>,
which doesn't work so well in Windows.

I've been using GNU make for
Windows<http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm>with limited
success, but often I come across errors related to DOS vs
cygwin paths, that works just as well in Command Prompt as it does in Git
Bash <http://msysgit.github.io/>?

Any chance we could distribute this make.exe as part of Strawberry Perl? If
not, I host a simple project for producing and hosting MSI one-click
installers <https://github.com/mcandre/make-win> for make, I'd be happy to
point this to a new improved make if someone can help me develop it.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

Search Discussions

  • Brian Manning at Apr 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

    Strawberry Perl is my go-to package for getting a sane development
    environment in Windows. Just today, I was trying to install App::Ack on an
    old Dell, and found Strawberry Perl very helpful in the process. Compiling
    modules with C extensions like ack requires
    make<https://github.com/petdance/ack2/issues/255>,
    which doesn't work so well in Windows.
    Try using 'dmake' to install App::Ack. IIRC it's already included
    with Strawberry.

    Thanks,

    Brian
  • Kmx at Apr 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm

    On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Andrew Pennebaker
    Strawberry Perl is my go-to package for getting a sane development
    environment in Windows. Just today, I was trying to install App::Ack on an
    old Dell, and found Strawberry Perl very helpful in the process. Compiling
    modules with C extensions like ack requires
    make<https://github.com/petdance/ack2/issues/255>,
    which doesn't work so well in Windows.
    Try using 'dmake' to install App::Ack. IIRC it's already included
    with Strawberry.
    Exactly, there is 'dmake' for installation like

    C:\any_pkg_root_dir> perl Makefile.PL
    C:\any_pkg_root_dir> dmake test
    C:\any_pkg_root_dir> dmake install

    On top of that there is also GNU make bundled with strawberry perl as
    'gmake' (it is intended for special purposes)

    --
    kmx

groupwin32-vanilla @
categoriesperl