I think that it might be a little useful to have some variety of
one-liner repository in the CPAN script section, or perhaps elsewhere if
that makes more sense. These might be something like the following
example:

=head1 Using CPAN.pm

perl -MCPAN -e shell

=head1 What does it do?

Launches the CPAN shell in order to install modules from CPAN

=head1 Explanation

The -M switch loads a module. The syntax is -MI<modulename>, such as
-MCPAN to load C<CPAN.pm> or -MTime::JulianDay to load
C<Time::JulianDay>.

The -e switch indicates that what follows on the command line is the
Perl code to be run. This is usually enclosed in single-quotes (double
quotes on Win32), but in this case, since it is just a single word, this
is not necessary.

=cut

This is just a thought that I had last night. I know that there are
several one-liner web sites around, but it might be nice to have such a
beast under CPAN. Perhaps have this as a subdir under Scripts, and have
it available as HTML and/or text and/or POD. Any thoughts on this?

Rich

Search Discussions

  • Elaine -HFB- Ashton at Dec 6, 1999 at 3:17 pm
    Rich Bowen [rbowen@rcbowen.com] quoth:
    *>
    *>This is just a thought that I had last night. I know that there are
    *>several one-liner web sites around, but it might be nice to have such a
    *>beast under CPAN. Perhaps have this as a subdir under Scripts, and have
    *>it available as HTML and/or text and/or POD. Any thoughts on this?

    I like the idea as I've been getting around to revivng the JAPH file. I
    don't think it belongs on CPAN, but if you have the desire to lead the
    project, I have a site you could build and serve this from.

    One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    community. :)

    e.
  • Rich Bowen at Dec 6, 1999 at 3:38 pm

    Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:

    Rich Bowen [rbowen@rcbowen.com] quoth:
    *>
    *>This is just a thought that I had last night. I know that there are
    *>several one-liner web sites around, but it might be nice to have such a
    *>beast under CPAN. Perhaps have this as a subdir under Scripts, and have
    *>it available as HTML and/or text and/or POD. Any thoughts on this?

    I like the idea as I've been getting around to revivng the JAPH file. I
    don't think it belongs on CPAN, but if you have the desire to lead the
    project, I have a site you could build and serve this from.
    Cool. I definately have the desire to do so.
    One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    community. :)
    That would be pretty cool. Are there any copyright issues of doing that?
    Is Jon on this list?

    Rich
  • Jon Orwant at Dec 6, 1999 at 5:37 pm

    Rich Bowen writes:
    One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    community. :)
    That would be pretty cool. Are there any copyright issues of doing that?
    Is Jon on this list?
    Shouldn't be a problem. As far as I'm concerned, one-liners remain
    the property of their authors, so there are no copyright issues.

    -Jon
  • David Coppit at Dec 6, 1999 at 4:19 pm

    One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    community. :)
    And maybe deconstructing them for the non-wizard Perl users. ;)

    David

    David Coppit - Graduate Student david@coppit.org
    The University of Virginia http://coppit.org/
    "Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain." There was a long silence.
    "I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."
  • Rich Bowen at Dec 6, 1999 at 4:41 pm

    David Coppit wrote:
    One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    community. :)
    And maybe deconstructing them for the non-wizard Perl users. ;)
    Yes, that's what I intended with the Explanation section. Of course, I'm
    sure that there will be a substantial number of them that I'll need help
    on, particularly if we get into JAPHs.

    Rich
  • Marcel at Dec 6, 1999 at 4:52 pm
    && Rich Bowen [rbowen@rcbowen.com] quoth:
    && *>
    && *>This is just a thought that I had last night. I know that there are
    && *>several one-liner web sites around, but it might be nice to have such a
    && *>beast under CPAN. Perhaps have this as a subdir under Scripts, and have
    && *>it available as HTML and/or text and/or POD. Any thoughts on this?
    &&
    && I like the idea as I've been getting around to revivng the JAPH file. I
    && don't think it belongs on CPAN, but if you have the desire to lead the
    && project, I have a site you could build and serve this from.
    &&
    && One thought, too, would be to collect all of the one-liners from TPJ, etc.
    && and organise them. A lot of them have personality, adding flavour to the
    && community. :)

    Effective Perl Programming has a lot of cool one-liners as well.

    And there are always Abigail's sigs...

    Would this cover idioms such as the ST or Orcish Maneuver as well?

    Marcel
  • Rich Bowen at Dec 6, 1999 at 4:58 pm

    marcel@lovely.net wrote: ...
    Effective Perl Programming has a lot of cool one-liners as well.

    And there are always Abigail's sigs...
    There again, I suppose that there are copyright issues, but perhaps
    those folks will be cooperative.
    Would this cover idioms such as the ST or Orcish Maneuver as well?
    It seems that those would fit, yes.

    Rich
  • Elaine -HFB- Ashton at Dec 6, 1999 at 5:04 pm
    Rich Bowen [rbowen@rcbowen.com] quoth:
    *>...
    *>> Effective Perl Programming has a lot of cool one-liners as well.
    *>>
    *>> And there are always Abigail's sigs...
    *>
    *>There again, I suppose that there are copyright issues, but perhaps
    *>those folks will be cooperative.

    Joseph would probably let you use them, and I imagine Abs will too. Ask
    nicely and attribute accordingly.

    *>> Would this cover idioms such as the ST or Orcish Maneuver as well?
    *>
    *>It seems that those would fit, yes.

    Anything that shows the cleverness of Perl and the people who use it I
    would think counts :)

    e.
  • Rich Bowen at Dec 6, 1999 at 5:20 pm