Hello,

I have stopped to submit scripts to the scripts section in CPAN, simpy
because I think it is not functioning well. I think we should do
something about it? We should get the versioning stuff working because
it is not optimal, which brings me to another issue.

From (http://www.cpan.org/scripts/submitting.html)
"It must be a single file, not compressed or archived. This constraint
will be relaxed in the future."

We need to be able to submit compressed/archived files aswell - in my
opinion the scripts part should look asmuch as the module part as
possible - so you version inside your script and in your compressed
image, so that script names are kept simple - what do you think?

I can offer keyboard time to address the above

jonasbn

Search Discussions

  • Johan Vromans at Oct 11, 2004 at 8:36 am

    "Jonas B.Nielsen" <jonasbn@io.dk> writes:

    From (http://www.cpan.org/scripts/submitting.html)
    "It must be a single file, not compressed or archived. This
    constraint will be relaxed in the future."
    I've always pleaded to use ordinary .tar.gz with a Makefile.PL,
    just like modules. The only difference being that it installs a
    runnable script instead.

    In fact, I have uploaded several of these in the modules area :-).

    -- Johan
  • Jonas B . Nielsen at Oct 11, 2004 at 11:37 am
    Uh, sounds good :)

    So we probably just need to have that documented etc.

    jonasbn
    "It must be a single file, not compressed or archived. This
    constraint will be relaxed in the future."
    I've always pleaded to use ordinary .tar.gz with a Makefile.PL,
    just like modules. The only difference being that it installs a
    runnable script instead.

    In fact, I have uploaded several of these in the modules area :-).

    -- Johan
  • Jonas B . Nielsen at Oct 12, 2004 at 7:04 am
    Hi Johan,

    Oh, I misunderstood your mail at first - I thought that this was just
    not documented. Well anyway have any of your scripts submitted this way
    appeared in the list at:

    http://www.cpan.org/scripts/

    I cannot seem to locate any, but then again the list does not specify
    authors - so I just poked for goodies like: makepatch and cpancd

    jonasbn
    "It must be a single file, not compressed or archived. This
    constraint will be relaxed in the future."
    I've always pleaded to use ordinary .tar.gz with a Makefile.PL,
    just like modules. The only difference being that it installs a
    runnable script instead.

    In fact, I have uploaded several of these in the modules area :-).

    -- Johan

groupscripts @
categoriesperl
postedOct 11, '04 at 7:12a