FAQ
Perl Scriptors,

I'd like to propose a new script category, CVS (or CVS Utilities or
something like that). I've written a script that sends pretty complex
email messages upon a CVS commit, and I'm uploading it to the CPAN, but
I know that mine is not the only CVS script, so we might benefit from a
category for CVS scripts.

What do you think?

Thanks,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
David@Wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
Yahoo!: dew7e
Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Search Discussions

  • Rich Bowen at Jan 12, 2002 at 1:53 am

    On 11 Jan 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

    Perl Scriptors,

    I'd like to propose a new script category, CVS (or CVS Utilities or
    something like that). I've written a script that sends pretty complex
    email messages upon a CVS commit, and I'm uploading it to the CPAN, but
    I know that mine is not the only CVS script, so we might benefit from a
    category for CVS scripts.
    The more readily available CVS Perl utilities there are, the better, as
    far as I am concerned. CVS makes sense as a category to me.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    http://kenya.rcbowen.com/
  • David Wheeler at Jan 12, 2002 at 5:47 pm

    On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 17:53, Rich Bowen wrote:

    The more readily available CVS Perl utilities there are, the better, as
    far as I am concerned. CVS makes sense as a category to me.
    Yes, I agree, Rich. I'm thinking about placing my script on SourceForge
    or something. Meanwhile, I've uploaded it to CPAN, and you should be
    able to find it here:

    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DW/DWHEELER/activitymail

    Regards,

    David

    --
    David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
    david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
    Yahoo!: dew7e
    Jabber: Theory@jabber.org
  • David Wheeler at Jan 12, 2002 at 6:16 pm

    On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 09:47, David Wheeler wrote:

    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DW/DWHEELER/activitymail
    Actually, I just uploaded it again with some discussion of an issue I'm
    having with fork added to the KNOWN ISSUES section. It'll soon be
    available here:

    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DW/DWHEELER/activitymail-0.896

    Regards,

    David
    --
    David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
    david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
    Yahoo!: dew7e
    Jabber: Theory@jabber.org
  • Jacob Kenner at Jan 12, 2002 at 6:36 pm

    On 11 Jan at 20:30 Rich Bowen wrote:
    The more readily available CVS Perl utilities there are, the better, as
    far as I am concerned. CVS makes sense as a category to me.
    `CVS' is a good category. I'm always looking for better server filters
    and client processing programs.

    --
    .... That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What
    they really hate is lousy programmers.
    -- Larry N
  • David Coppit at Jan 22, 2002 at 6:13 pm

    On 11 Jan 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

    I'd like to propose a new script category, CVS (or CVS Utilities or
    something like that). I've written a script that sends pretty complex
    email messages upon a CVS commit, and I'm uploading it to the CPAN, but
    I know that mine is not the only CVS script, so we might benefit from a
    category for CVS scripts.
    More generally: Version_Control. I could imagine Version_Control/CVS and
    Version_Control/SourceSafe, just to name two.

    David

    _____________________________________________________________________
    David Coppit - Ph.D. Candidate david@coppit.org
    The University of Virginia http://coppit.org/
    Whenever anyone says, "theoretically", they really mean "not really".
    - Dave Parnas
  • John Lenton at Jan 23, 2002 at 1:08 pm

    On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:13:17PM -0500, David Coppit wrote:
    On 11 Jan 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

    I'd like to propose a new script category, CVS (or CVS Utilities or
    something like that). I've written a script that sends pretty complex
    email messages upon a CVS commit, and I'm uploading it to the CPAN, but
    I know that mine is not the only CVS script, so we might benefit from a
    category for CVS scripts.
    More generally: Version_Control. I could imagine Version_Control/CVS and
    Version_Control/SourceSafe, just to name two.
    Surely VersionControl, not Version_Control?

    Isn't there anything else we might do with versions such that it
    shouldn't be Version::Control?

    --
    John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
    It is better to be bow-legged than no-legged.
  • David Wheeler at Jan 23, 2002 at 3:49 pm

    On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 10:13, David Coppit wrote:

    More generally: Version_Control. I could imagine Version_Control/CVS and
    Version_Control/SourceSafe, just to name two.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. So, what does it take to actually put this
    in place on CPAN, gang?

    Regards,

    David
    --
    David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
    david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
    Yahoo!: dew7e
    Jabber: Theory@jabber.org
  • Kurt D. Starsinic at Jan 23, 2002 at 6:18 pm

    On Jan 23, David Wheeler wrote:
    On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 10:13, David Coppit wrote:

    More generally: Version_Control. I could imagine Version_Control/CVS and
    Version_Control/SourceSafe, just to name two.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. So, what does it take to actually put this
    in place on CPAN, gang?
    1. Say `Yeah, I can agree with that.'
    2. Put the tags in your script.
    3. Upload it to PAUSE.
    4. Nudge me if anything goes wrong.

    - Kurt
  • David Wheeler at Jan 23, 2002 at 6:23 pm

    On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 10:17, Kurt D. Starsinic wrote:

    1. Say `Yeah, I can agree with that.'
    2. Put the tags in your script.
    3. Upload it to PAUSE.
    4. Nudge me if anything goes wrong.
    Okay then, let's standardize on it, folks. I agree with a previous post
    that it should be

    VersionControl
    VersionControl::CVS
    VersionControl::SourceSafe

    etc.

    I'll upload my script to the CPAN with the VersionControl::CVS tag
    shortly. Cool?

    Regards,

    David

    --
    David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
    david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
    Yahoo!: dew7e
    Jabber: Theory@jabber.org
  • John Lenton at Jan 23, 2002 at 6:31 pm

    On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:22:34AM -0800, David Wheeler wrote:
    On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 10:17, Kurt D. Starsinic wrote:

    1. Say `Yeah, I can agree with that.'
    2. Put the tags in your script.
    3. Upload it to PAUSE.
    4. Nudge me if anything goes wrong.
    Okay then, let's standardize on it, folks. I agree with a previous post
    that it should be

    VersionControl
    VersionControl::CVS
    VersionControl::SourceSafe

    etc.

    I'll upload my script to the CPAN with the VersionControl::CVS tag
    shortly. Cool?
    ummm...

    hadn't we aggreed it would be Version::Control::CVS ?

    --
    John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
    What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?
    -- Ursula K. LeGuin
  • David Wheeler at Jan 23, 2002 at 6:43 pm

    On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 10:44, John Lenton wrote:
    ummm...

    hadn't we aggreed it would be Version::Control::CVS ?
    Did we? Um, okay. I'll hold off for a few hours, then, to see how other
    chime in.

    Either

    Version
    Version::Control
    Version::Control::CVS

    or

    VersionControl
    VersionControl::CVS

    D

    --
    David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
    david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394
    Yahoo!: dew7e
    Jabber: Theory@jabber.org
  • Kurt D. Starsinic at Jan 23, 2002 at 6:54 pm

    On Jan 23, David Wheeler wrote:
    On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 10:44, John Lenton wrote:
    ummm...

    hadn't we aggreed it would be Version::Control::CVS ?
    No.
    Did we? Um, okay. I'll hold off for a few hours, then, to see how other
    chime in.

    Either

    Version
    Version::Control
    Version::Control::CVS

    or

    VersionControl
    VersionControl::CVS
    Yes.

    - Kurt
  • Ivor Williams at Jan 23, 2002 at 1:22 pm

    John Lenton wrote:
    Isn't there anything else we might do with versions such that it
    shouldn't be Version::Control?
    How about Version::Check for doing PPM or CPAN verification.

    and Version::Number to provide modules for handling canonical version
    numbering.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and solely
    for the intended addressee(s). Unauthorised reproduction, disclosure,
    modification, and/or distribution of this email may be unlawful. If you
    have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
    and delete it from your system. The views expressed in this message
    do not necessarily reflect those of LIFFE (Holdings) Plc or any of its
    subsidiary companies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupscripts @
categoriesperl
postedJan 11, '02 at 7:08p
activeJan 23, '02 at 6:54p
posts14
users7
websiteperl.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase