I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
script categories.
It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
scripts.
Text/Filter could be the right category!?

Regards,
Clemens Giegerich

Search Discussions

  • Andrea Holstein at Dec 12, 2001 at 12:37 pm

    Clemens Giegerich wrote:

    Hi,

    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts.
    Text/Filter could be the right category!?
    If I think to CPAN structure the Text namespace is only for
    Non-GUI-modules.
    You could handle the regexp testet, the filtering and templates in it.

    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.

    Greetings,
    Andrea
  • Clemens Giegerich at Dec 12, 2001 at 1:10 pm

    Andrea Holstein wrote:

    Clemens Giegerich wrote:
    Hi,

    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts.
    Text/Filter could be the right category!?
    If I think to CPAN structure the Text namespace is only for
    Non-GUI-modules.
    You could handle the regexp testet, the filtering and templates in it.

    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.

    Greetings,
    Andrea
    This is true for modules but I think script categories should be more
    function orientated?

    Greetings,
    Clemens
  • Mike McCauley at Dec 24, 2001 at 2:49 am
    Hi all,

    I have finished a new application script:

    phone.pl

    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.

    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY

    Device:VoiceModem

    --
    Mike McCauley mikem@open.com.au
    Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW

    Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
    on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
  • Clemens Giegerich at Jan 7, 2002 at 7:46 am
    Good luck!!!

    I tried it several weeks ago and nothing happens. I also sent a message
    to Mike McCauley but I didn't get any response (perhaps he is to busy or
    on holiday!).
    If you find a way to add your new category please let me kow how you
    make it possible.

    Regards,
    Clemens Giegerich

    Mike McCauley wrote:
[...]

  • David Owen at Jan 9, 2002 at 12:25 am
    Double good luck!! I also tried to have a new category created a couple
    of months ago and and have seen nothing as a response. In fact I had
    tried a little earlier to get the same category started, but had no luck
    either time. I have given up! I guess that they are all too busy with
    other stuff.

    dowen

    Mike McCauley wrote:

[...]

    David Owen Midsomer Consultants Inc. dowen@midsomer.org
    Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ
  • Kurt D. Starsinic at Jan 9, 2002 at 1:35 am

    On Jan 08, David Owen wrote:
    Double good luck!! I also tried to have a new category created a couple
    of months ago and and have seen nothing as a response. In fact I had
    tried a little earlier to get the same category started, but had no luck
    either time. I have given up! I guess that they are all too busy with
    other stuff.
    Hello all,

    Let's get back on the right foot here.

    I'm the guy who creates categories. I watch for script authors to make
    proposals, then I wait for discussion.

    Lately, the members of the scripts list don't seem to be long on
    discussion. Thus, I'm declaring an amnesty period.

    If you've proposed a script category, please do so again. Say what
    it does, what the new category is, and why it doesn't belong in an
    existing category (if there's an existing category that's reasonably
    applicable). Barring violent opposition, I'll create the category for
    you right away.

    Cheers,
    Kurt
  • Mike McCauley at Jan 9, 2002 at 1:53 am
    Hello Kurt and list,

    Here I resubmit my proposal for Device:VoiceModem. There doesnt seem to be a
    category that already suits:

    Hi all,

    I have finished a new application script:

    phone.pl

    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.

    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY

    Device:VoiceModem

    Cheers.
[...]

  • Rich Bowen at Jan 9, 2002 at 12:08 pm

    Here I resubmit my proposal for Device:VoiceModem. There doesnt seem to be a
    category that already suits:

    Hi all,

    I have finished a new application script:

    phone.pl

    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.

    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY

    Device:VoiceModem
    Mike,

    Kurt is the one that can create new categories, and he has been
    exceedingly busy of late with the Perl6 project. However, he tends to go
    with whatever the majority of the folks on the list think is reasonable.

    I personally have little opinion on this. Although I think that 'device'
    is sufficiently generic as to be meaningless to most folk, I think that
    within a certain circle (ie, folks used to Unix) it may have a more
    specific meaning. This is my only concern with the name.

    --
    Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
    To find out where the winds die and where the stories go

    Rich Bowen wrote:
    I personally have little opinion on this. Although I think that 'device'
    is sufficiently generic as to be meaningless to most folk, I think that
    within a certain circle (ie, folks used to Unix) it may have a more
    specific meaning. This is my only concern with the name.
    I dunno. Categorizing scripts is a much tougher job than categorizing
    modules, which is tough enough.

    I think the overarching rule should be, If a user had need for a
    script like this, where would she most likely go looking for it?

    Given that, a top-level category like "Device" might not be bad,
    although maybe "Hardware Interface" would be even better.

    Category names are just English expressions, right?

    --
    John Douglas Porter

    I no longer love the color of your sweaters.
  • Kurt D. Starsinic at Jan 9, 2002 at 4:17 pm

    On Jan 09, Rich Bowen wrote:
[...]

    I agree that the category seems vague, but I honestly have no idea
    what a better, more specific category would be.

    Also, all other things being equal, I would prefer `Modem' to
    `VoiceModem'.

    - Kurt
  • David Owen at Jan 10, 2002 at 1:09 am
    I would like to ask for a new script category:

    database:Sybase

    I do not believe that any of the existing categories cover scripts that
    are relevant to the management, administration or general monitoring of
    Sybase databases. I also do not believe that it is worth having any
    sub-categories below 'Sybase'. I am not sure if there are that many
    other people writing scripts for Sybase, but I do not believe that it is
    going to be so over-whelming.

    dowen
    --
    David Owen Midsomer Consultants Inc. dowen@midsomer.org
    Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ
  • Clemens Giegerich at Jan 10, 2002 at 5:46 am
    Hi all,

    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts. The script doesn't fit into any existing category.

    My suggestion for a new category is Text::Filter.

    I got one reply from the list:
    If I think to CPAN structure the Text namespace is only for
    Non-GUI-modules.
    You could handle the regexp testet, the filtering and templates in it.
    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.
    But I think the script categories are organized by funktion not by
    libraries.
    Another suggestion could be devel (for developing like the module
    category).

    Any comments?

    Greetings,
    Clemens
    "Kurt D. Starsinic" wrote:
    On Jan 08, David Owen wrote:
[...]

  • Rich Bowen at Jan 10, 2002 at 12:42 pm

    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts. The script doesn't fit into any existing category.

    My suggestion for a new category is Text::Filter.
    I'm not sure I understand what it does, but this category makes sense
    from your explanation.
    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.
    But I think the script categories are organized by funktion not by
    libraries.
    I agree, the scripts are, and should be, organized by what they do, not
    by implementation. The fact that it is in Tk is (from the perspective of
    categorization) unimportant.
    Another suggestion could be devel (for developing like the module
    category).
    No. devel is utterly meaningless, and has been repeatedly rejected as a
    category. It does not help people find stuff. Just my $0.02, but it
    seems to be the historical consensus of the list.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    http://kenya.rcbowen.com/

    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts. The script doesn't fit into any existing category.

    My suggestion for a new category is Text::Filter.
    I'm not sure I understand what it does, but this category makes sense
    from your explanation.
    Uhhh. "Text" is notoriously non-ndescriptive. Unless one is really
    working with "text", as in "an arrangement of characters", one is
    usually better of thinking of something more descriptive. In this
    case, how about something beginning with "Regex::" or "Template::"?
    (Seeing some interface/usage examples would help in better ideas.)
    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.
    But I think the script categories are organized by funktion not by
    libraries.
    "Text" is a really broad function.
    I agree, the scripts are, and should be, organized by what they do, not
    by implementation. The fact that it is in Tk is (from the perspective of
    categorization) unimportant.
    Another suggestion could be devel (for developing like the module
    category).
    No. devel is utterly meaningless, and has been repeatedly rejected as a
    category. It does not help people find stuff. Just my $0.02, but it
    I think the same for "Text".

    Think what your module does, and how would you like people to find it.
    "Text::Filter" is hopelessly ambiguous, at least to my eyes.
    seems to be the historical consensus of the list.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    http://kenya.rcbowen.com/
    --
    $jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
    # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen

    Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
    I have written a script (perl Tk) which doesn't fit into the
    current
    script categories.
    It's called mkFilter.pl a script with GUI for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts. The script doesn't fit into any existing category.

    My suggestion for a new category is Text::Filter.
    I'm not sure I understand what it does, but this category makes sense
    from your explanation.
    Uhhh. "Text" is notoriously non-ndescriptive. Unless one is really
    working with "text", as in "an arrangement of characters", one is
    usually better of thinking of something more descriptive. In this
    case, how about something beginning with "Regex::" or "Template::"?
    Partially I agree but the script works on plain Text and most scripts
    are categroized by data which they working on (e.g Audio::MP3, News,
    ....). Regex:: could be another option because mkFilter.pl should help to
    understand and develop regular expressions (can be viewed as a regular
    expression debugger). Template:: is not a good idea because generating
    templates (actually this scripts are runable filter scripts which can be
    used as starting point for further development) are not the primary
    function of the script.
    (Seeing some interface/usage examples would help in better ideas.)
    Basically you can see the script as a viewer of text data before and
    after applying regular expressions (interactively) including all preset
    perl variables. Regular expressions can be applied permanently so that
    you can work on the resulting output.
    But Tk::Text::Filter could be better.
    But I think the script categories are organized by funktion not by
    libraries.
    "Text" is a really broad function.
    I agree, the scripts are, and should be, organized by what they do, not
    by implementation. The fact that it is in Tk is (from the
    perspective of
    categorization) unimportant.
    Another suggestion could be devel (for developing like the module
    category).
    No. devel is utterly meaningless, and has been repeatedly rejected as a
    category. It does not help people find stuff. Just my $0.02, but it
    I think the same for "Text".

    Think what your module does, and how would you like people to find it.
    That is the reason why I have choosen Text::Filter
    "Text::Filter" is hopelessly ambiguous, at least to my eyes.
    Perharps Regex:: could be good alternativ?

    Any comments?

    seems to be the historical consensus of the list.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    http://kenya.rcbowen.com/
    --
    $jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
    # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen
  • David Owen at Jan 10, 2002 at 12:38 am

    Rich Bowen wrote:
    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and
    caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.
    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY
    Device:VoiceModem

    Kurt's unhappiness with 'VoiceModem' had me thinking. Would a category
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    require some other device handling to be available on the box or does it
    do everything? I suppose it comes down to the category should reflect
    what the script does and 'Device...' may be confusing. I cannot think
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.

    dowen
    --
    David Owen Midsomer Consultants Inc. dowen@midsomer.org
    Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ
  • Jarkko Hietaniemi at Jan 10, 2002 at 1:02 am

    On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:38:14PM -0700, David Owen wrote:
    Rich Bowen wrote:
    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and
    caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.
    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY
    Device:VoiceModem

    Kurt's unhappiness with 'VoiceModem' had me thinking. Would a category
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    Telephony:: sounds good to me.
    require some other device handling to be available on the box or does it
    do everything? I suppose it comes down to the category should reflect
    what the script does and 'Device...' may be confusing. I cannot think
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.

    dowen
    --
    David Owen Midsomer Consultants Inc. dowen@midsomer.org
    Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ
    --
    $jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
    # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen
  • Mike McCauley at Jan 10, 2002 at 1:07 am

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:38, David Owen wrote:
    Rich Bowen wrote:

    Perl application for handling phone calls with a voice modem and
    caller id.
    Recognises and displays inbound caller id calls and optionally
    looks up names in a
    KDE Address Book (KAB) database. Logs inbound calls to a flat history file.
    Optional Tk GUI. Works with any standard caller-id compliant voice modem on
    any Unix.

    I respectfully submit a request for a new SCRIPT CATEGORY

    Device:VoiceModem
    Kurt's unhappiness with 'VoiceModem' had me thinking. Would a category
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    require some other device handling to be available on the box or does it
    do everything?
    It uses Device::SerialPort

    I suppose it comes down to the category should reflect
    what the script does and 'Device...' may be confusing. I cannot think
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.

    dowen
    --
    Mike McCauley mikem@open.com.au
    Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW
    24 Bateman St Hampton, VIC 3188 Australia http://www.open.com.au
    Phone +61 3 9598-0985 Fax +61 3 9598-0955

    Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
    on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
  • Jacob Kenner at Jan 10, 2002 at 1:08 am

    On 9 Jan at 18:35 David Owen wrote:
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    `Telephony' would be a reasonable top level category. If I were
    submitting scripts, I could think of a number that would fall in this
    category.
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.
    CallHandler, Handler, Router, ???

    ~jacob
    --
    "For a list of the ways in which technology has failed to improve your
    quality of life, press 3."

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:05, Jacob Kenner wrote:
    On 9 Jan at 18:35 David Owen wrote:
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    `Telephony' would be a reasonable top level category. If I were
    submitting scripts, I could think of a number that would fall in this
    category.
    Telephony sounds good. OK for me.
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.
    CallHandler, Handler, Router, ???
    Is a sub category needed at all?

    ~jacob
    --
    Mike McCauley mikem@open.com.au
    Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW
    24 Bateman St Hampton, VIC 3188 Australia http://www.open.com.au
    Phone +61 3 9598-0985 Fax +61 3 9598-0955

    Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
    on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
  • Mike McCauley at Feb 4, 2002 at 6:37 am

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:05, Jacob Kenner wrote:
    On 9 Jan at 18:35 David Owen wrote:
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    `Telephony' would be a reasonable top level category. If I were
    submitting scripts, I could think of a number that would fall in this
    category.
    OK, so are there any objections to Telephony?
    (reminder, this is for a Tk script that monitors a caller-id voice modem
    and displays the caller id)

    Kurt, if no objections, can we have that category created?

    Cheers.
    of a suitable sub-category. CallHandler perhaps.
    CallHandler, Handler, Router, ???

    ~jacob
    --
    Mike McCauley mikem@open.com.au
    Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW
    24 Bateman St Hampton, VIC 3188 Australia http://www.open.com.au
    Phone +61 3 9598-0985 Fax +61 3 9598-0955

    Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
    on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
  • Kurt D. Starsinic at Feb 14, 2002 at 1:12 am

    On Feb 04, Mike McCauley wrote:
    On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:05, Jacob Kenner wrote:
    On 9 Jan at 18:35 David Owen wrote:
    of 'telephony' be better (as a top level category)? Does the script
    `Telephony' would be a reasonable top level category. If I were
    submitting scripts, I could think of a number that would fall in this
    category.
    OK, so are there any objections to Telephony?
    (reminder, this is for a Tk script that monitors a caller-id voice modem
    and displays the caller id)

    Kurt, if no objections, can we have that category created?
    Done.

    - Kurt
  • Clemens Giegerich at Feb 5, 2002 at 7:28 am
    Hi all,

    I didn't get any respons of my last e-mail (some weeks ago). I request a
    new script category for my perltk script mkFilter.pl:

    mkFilter.pl is a script with GUI (perltk) for testing perl regular
    expressions, filtering input data (text) and generating template
    scripts. You can use the script like a debugger for a single regular
    expression. You can't step into an expression but you can change the
    expression and see immediately the change on the input string and all
    auto set perl variables. Input separator can be changed so it can also
    be used to work on structured data. The resulting expression can be
    written to a template script (including loop, ...), applied inplace or
    coppied to the clipboard. ...

    My first request for a new category was Text::Filter.
    Another (perhaps bettter) idea from a reply of my request was Regex::.
    Or both?

    Any comments?

    Clemens
  • Rich Bowen at Feb 5, 2002 at 11:38 am

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Clemens Giegerich wrote:

[...]

    I seem to recall that there were a number of responses to it, some
    discussion of the relative merits of the "Text" top-level-category, and
    some other random discussion.

    Personally, I think that the name mkFilter is sufficiently
    undescriptive that folks will have a hard time recognizing from its name
    what it is, and so are likely to go past it in a listing.

    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that "Regex" might be a more
    appropriate category for this particular program, if I am correctly
    understanding what it does.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    .... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New

    Rich Bowen wrote:
[...]

    The name results from a beginner point of view. In our department there
    are many users which have only basic knowledge about programming
    therefore the script was called after the primary function for this
    users: making filter scripts. This is the reason why my first category
    request was Text::Filter too.

    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that "Regex" might be a more
    appropriate category for this particular program, if I am correctly
    understanding what it does.
    If you see the primary function of the script to develop regular
    expression than the right category should be Regex:: but the script
    should also get a new name as you already mentioned (e.g mkRegex.pl,
    regexEvaluater.pl, ...). I developed the script for exactly this purpose
    but after some time I mainly used it for filtering too. Now I think the
    script should be named and categorized by the beginner point of view
    (the primary users).
    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    ... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at
    New
    York (not the same, though it might appear so)
    Somebody's Luggage (Charles Dickens)
    Any further comments?
    What do you think about Regex:: and regexEvaluater.pl?

    Clemens
  • Rich Bowen at Feb 11, 2002 at 11:51 am

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Clemens Giegerich wrote:

    The name results from a beginner point of view. In our department there
    are many users which have only basic knowledge about programming
    therefore the script was called after the primary function for this
    users: making filter scripts. This is the reason why my first category
    request was Text::Filter too.
    My point was that I have no idea what "filter" means. Presumably it
    meant something particular to your users. To me, filter means perhaps
    something that is done to coffee, or not done to fine wines, or what
    happens to my email before it reaches my mailbox so I get less spam. In
    the context of regular expressions, or of your script, I don't know what
    filter means.
[...]
    That sounds great to me. I think. :-)

    --
    Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
    Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.

    Rich Bowen wrote:
    On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Clemens Giegerich wrote:

    The name results from a beginner point of view. In our department there
    are many users which have only basic knowledge about programming
    therefore the script was called after the primary function for this
    users: making filter scripts. This is the reason why my first category
    request was Text::Filter too.
    My point was that I have no idea what "filter" means. Presumably it
    meant something particular to your users. To me, filter means perhaps
    something that is done to coffee, or not done to fine wines, or what
    happens to my email before it reaches my mailbox so I get less spam.
    In
    the context of regular expressions, or of your script, I don't know
    what
    filter means.
    That is exactly the point. Instead of filtering coffee, wines or email
    you filtering text (Text:: !!!) by regular expressions or the saved
    scripts.
[...]
    I have no problem with this but it was importand for me to make the
    different semantics clear so that the community can choose the best
    naming.

    --
    Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
    Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.
    Any further opinions (comments)????

    Clemens
  • Clemens Giegerich at Feb 14, 2002 at 6:19 am

    "Giegerich, Clemens PH/DE" wrote:

    Rich Bowen wrote:
[...]

    I think there are no further comments.

    Kurt, can you create a new script category Regex?

    Thanks!
    Clemens

groupscripts @
categoriesperl