Grokbase Groups Perl scripts May 2001
I have read the literature and tried my hardest to follow the guide
lines provided. I put forward a suggestion for a new category (I had a
very hard look at the current categories, but a Sybase DBA script does
not fit into any of them, there is an old "dbase" area, but that does
not seem to represent a current category). There was no dissent that I
saw, in fact a follow-up even suggested that someone else would have
some other stuff to go under a "database : MySQL" (?) category. I keep
my eyes on the set of categories, but it does not seem to increase. I
realise that people are all busy, aren't we all, but how do I know if my
suggestion for a category is going to be accepted or even rejected?

dowen
--
David Owen Midsomer Consultants Inc. dowen@midsomer.org
Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ

Search Discussions

  • Rich Bowen at May 17, 2001 at 1:15 pm

    I have read the literature and tried my hardest to follow the guide
    lines provided. I put forward a suggestion for a new category (I had a
    very hard look at the current categories, but a Sybase DBA script does
    not fit into any of them, there is an old "dbase" area, but that does
    not seem to represent a current category). There was no dissent that I
    saw, in fact a follow-up even suggested that someone else would have
    some other stuff to go under a "database : MySQL" (?) category. I keep
    my eyes on the set of categories, but it does not seem to increase. I
    realise that people are all busy, aren't we all, but how do I know if my
    suggestion for a category is going to be accepted or even rejected?
    I did not remember your query, but I found it in back email, with just one
    response.

    I think that a database section is a good idea, with specific databases
    appearing below it. I have a tool that I call 'mysqlgrep' that will "grep" a
    database for a particular pattern, but I think that it's generic enough to
    apply to any DBI-able database. It's important to try to make the scripts
    generic enough to work on any database, if this is possible, recognizing that
    it is not always possible.

    So I'd vote +1 on this category.

    Anyways, the next step is for the category to get created. I am not sure what
    the procedure is there. I'm pretty sure Kurt has to do that himself.

    --
    Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
    As we trace our own few circles around the sun

groupscripts @
categoriesperl
postedMay 17, '01 at 4:31a
activeMay 17, '01 at 1:15p