Grokbase Groups Perl qa January 2014
FAQ
Hi,

I'm using the Test::ParallelSubtest module to run multiple tests in parallel. However, a change in Test::Builder now broke this module. Every bg_subtest block fails with an error like the following:

not ok 1 - parse child output for 'test 1 '
# Failed test 'parse child output for 'test 1 ''
# at /home/sciadmin/workspace/ws_jan_fw/util/nirvana/CPAN/lib/perl5/Test/ParallelSubtest.pm line 216.
# ERROR: bg_subtest "test 1 " (/home/........ /jantest.t line 24) aborted:
# Parsing failure in Test::ParallelSubtest - cannot parse:
# [ # Subtest: test 1
# ok 1 - test 1
# ]

I looked at the changes in Test::Builder and found that this change introduced the error:
0.98_05 Tue Apr 23 17:33:51 PDT 2013
     New Features
     * A subtest will put its name at the front of its results to make
       subtests easier to read. [github #290] [github #364]
       (Brendan Byrd)


I'm now wondering how to solve this issue. It looks like Test::ParallelSubtest is not actively maintained. Is there a recommended alternative for it to run multiple tests in parallel?

Thanks,
Jan

Search Discussions

  • Leon Timmermans at Jan 13, 2014 at 11:51 pm

    On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Jan Seidel wrote:

    Hi,



    I’m using the Test::ParallelSubtest module to run multiple tests in
    parallel. However, a change in Test::Builder now broke this module. Every
    bg_subtest block fails with an error like the following:



    not ok 1 - parse child output for 'test 1 '

    # Failed test 'parse child output for 'test 1 ''

    # at
    /home/sciadmin/workspace/ws_jan_fw/util/nirvana/CPAN/lib/perl5/Test/ParallelSubtest.pm
    line 216.

    # ERROR: bg_subtest "test 1 " (/home/…….. /jantest.t line 24) aborted:

    # Parsing failure in Test::ParallelSubtest - cannot parse:

    # [ # Subtest: test 1

    # ok 1 - test 1

    # ]



    I looked at the changes in Test::Builder and found that this change
    introduced the error:

    0.98_05 Tue Apr 23 17:33:51 PDT 2013

    New Features

    * A subtest will put its name at the front of its results to make

    subtests easier to read. [github #290] [github #364]

    (Brendan Byrd)





    I’m now wondering how to solve this issue. It looks like
    Test::ParallelSubtest is not actively maintained. Is there a recommended
    alternative for it to run multiple tests in parallel?
    Have you contacted the author? It doesn't look to me like you filed a bug
    report. Odds are this is something that could easily be fixed.

    Leon
  • Jan Seidel at Jan 13, 2014 at 11:55 pm

    Have you contacted the author? It doesn't look to me like you filed a bug report. Odds are this is something that could easily be fixed.
    Leon
    Thanks for the recommendation, I opened a bug. I initially skipped this as I saw another open bug that hasn't been addressed since 2 years now. But I agree that for tracking purposes it is nonetheless a good idea to open a bug:
    https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92119
  • James E Keenan at Jan 14, 2014 at 3:01 am

    On 1/13/14 6:55 PM, Jan Seidel wrote:
    I initially skipped this as I saw another open bug that hasn't been addressed since 2 years now. But I agree that for tracking purposes it is nonetheless a good idea to open a bug:
    https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92119
    Heh! Even much more actively maintained modules than this one can have
    tickets open for more than two years -- including modules by, ummm ..., me.

    Many authors are diligent about fixing critical bugs while letting
    "wishlist" items lie fallow. So let's see how the author or maintainer
    of Test::ParallelSubtest responds.

    Thanks for your report.
    Jim Keenan
  • Leon Timmermans at Jan 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm

    On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM, Jan Seidel wrote:

    Have you contacted the author? It doesn't look to me like you filed a
    bug report. Odds are this is something that could easily be fixed.
    Leon
    Thanks for the recommendation, I opened a bug. I initially skipped this as
    I saw another open bug that hasn't been addressed since 2 years now. But I
    agree that for tracking purposes it is nonetheless a good idea to open a
    bug:
    https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92119
    I see a fix has just been released :-)

    Leon
  • Ovid at Jan 15, 2014 at 11:53 am
    Hi Jan,

    For running multiple tests in parallel, I'm not sure if there is a "recommended" alternative, but the two which immediately sprint to mind are Fennec, by Chad Granum[1] and my Test::Class::Moose module[2], using the parallel role[2]. I've also uploaded a new slide deck for Test::Class:Moose[3] and it explains some new features, or you can watch a video about it (which is just a touch outdated, but all examples work)[4].

    Note that for Test::Class::Moose, I've just uploaded 0.42. It fixes a subtle issue that one company ran into. You can wait for it to hit the CPAN or grab it from github[5].

      1. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Fennec/lib/Fennec.pm#RUNNING_FENNEC_TEST_FILES_IN_PARALLEL

      2. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Class-Moose/lib/Test/Class/Moose/Role/Parallel.pm

      3. http://www.slideshare.net/Ovid/testclassmoose

      4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Z5_Ba860g

      5. https://github.com/Ovid/test-class-moose
    I don't know much about Fennec, but the author seems competent and responsive. As for Test::Class::Moose, it's listed as BETA, but I know companies are already using it in production.

    Best,
    Ovid
    --
    IT consulting, training, international recruiting
           http://www.allaroundtheworld.fr/.
    Buy my book! - http://bit.ly/beginning_perl
    Live and work overseas - http://www.overseas-exile.com/



    On Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 0:30, Jan Seidel wrote:

    Hi,

    I’m using the Test::ParallelSubtest module to run multiple tests in parallel. However, a change in Test::Builder now broke this module. Every bg_subtest block fails with an error like the following:

    not ok 1 - parse child output for 'test 1 '
    #   Failed test 'parse child output for 'test 1 ''
    #   at /home/sciadmin/workspace/ws_jan_fw/util/nirvana/CPAN/lib/perl5/Test/ParallelSubtest.pm line 216.
    # ERROR: bg_subtest "test 1 " (/home/…….. /jantest.t line 24) aborted:
    #        Parsing failure in Test::ParallelSubtest - cannot parse:
    #        [    # Subtest: test 1
    # ok 1 - test 1
    # ]

    I looked at the changes in Test::Builder and found that this change introduced the error:
    0.98_05  Tue Apr 23 17:33:51 PDT 2013
    New Features
    *A subtest will put its name at the front of its results to make
    subtests easier to read. [github #290] [github #364]
    (Brendan Byrd)


    I’m now wondering how to solve this issue. It looks like Test::ParallelSubtest is not actively maintained. Is there a recommended alternative for it to run multiple tests in parallel?

    Thanks,
    Jan

  • Jan Seidel at Jan 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm
    Thanks for your detailed response, Ovid. I have looked at Test::Class::Moose before, but our use case is slightly different from what I understand Test::Class::Moose is providing.

    We’re using Perl to test a storage system and an example test case would for example be: “Write data to the storage system and after the I/O has started reboot the storage system”. So you see that these are not 2 independent test cases that we want to run in parallel but instead a single test case that uses multiple threads or processes – 1 process for the I/O and 1 process for the system operation. That’s where we use Test::ParallelSubtest which provides a simple interface to run test steps in parallel.

    Regards,
    Jan

    From: Ovid
    Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:53 AM
    To: Jan Seidel; perl-qa@perl.org
    Subject: Re: New Test::Builder version broke Test::ParallelSubtest

    Hi Jan,

    For running multiple tests in parallel, I'm not sure if there is a "recommended" alternative, but the two which immediately sprint to mind are Fennec, by Chad Granum[1] and my Test::Class::Moose module[2], using the parallel role[2]. I've also uploaded a new slide deck for Test::Class:Moose[3] and it explains some new features, or you can watch a video about it (which is just a touch outdated, but all examples work)[4].

    Note that for Test::Class::Moose, I've just uploaded 0.42. It fixes a subtle issue that one company ran into. You can wait for it to hit the CPAN or grab it from github[5].

       1. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Fennec/lib/Fennec.pm#RUNNING_FENNEC_TEST_FILES_IN_PARALLEL
       2. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Class-Moose/lib/Test/Class/Moose/Role/Parallel.pm
       3. http://www.slideshare.net/Ovid/testclassmoose
       4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Z5_Ba860g
       5. https://github.com/Ovid/test-class-moose
    I don't know much about Fennec, but the author seems competent and responsive. As for Test::Class::Moose, it's listed as BETA, but I know companies are already using it in production.

    Best,
    Ovid
    --
    IT consulting, training, international recruiting
            http://www.allaroundtheworld.fr/.
    Buy my book! - http://bit.ly/beginning_perl
    Live and work overseas - http://www.overseas-exile.com/

    On Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 0:30, Jan Seidel wrote:
    Hi,

    I’m using the Test::ParallelSubtest module to run multiple tests in parallel. However, a change in Test::Builder now broke this module. Every bg_subtest block fails with an error like the following:

    not ok 1 - parse child output for 'test 1 '
    # Failed test 'parse child output for 'test 1 ''
    # at /home/sciadmin/workspace/ws_jan_fw/util/nirvana/CPAN/lib/perl5/Test/ParallelSubtest.pm line 216.
    # ERROR: bg_subtest "test 1 " (/home/…….. /jantest.t line 24) aborted:
    # Parsing failure in Test::ParallelSubtest - cannot parse:
    # [ # Subtest: test 1
    # ok 1 - test 1
    # ]

    I looked at the changes in Test::Builder and found that this change introduced the error:
    0.98_05 Tue Apr 23 17:33:51 PDT 2013
         New Features
         * A subtest will put its name at the front of its results to make
           subtests easier to read. [github #290] [github #364]
           (Brendan Byrd)


    I’m now wondering how to solve this issue. It looks like Test::ParallelSubtest is not actively maintained. Is there a recommended alternative for it to run multiple tests in parallel?

    Thanks,
    Jan

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupqa @
categoriesperl
postedJan 13, '14 at 11:30p
activeJan 20, '14 at 9:23p
posts7
users4
websiteqa.perl.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2019 Grokbase