Grokbase Groups Perl qa November 2013
Hello,

I am very pleased to announce that the Perl QA Hackathon 2014 will be held
in Lyon, France, in the Booking.com offices (http://goo.gl/maps/mXo15),
from Friday March 14 to Sunday March 16, 2014.

Actually, it is very likely to last for one extra day, and be held
from Thursday March 13 to Sunday March 16, 2014. You can already mark
your calendars. :-)

The limit to the number of attendees has been set to 30. The main reason
is space: for two days, we'll be using an office where people actually
work, and we want to disturb them as little as possible (on Thursday
and Friday). We will use a big meeting room and the kitchen; 30 people
is about the maximum that can fit comfortably in that big room.

The other reason to the limit is focus. Less people means more intimacy,
less distraction, and easier logistics -- which is the way things were for
the first several years of the QA hackathon.

Because the number of seats is limited to 30, and the past two hackathons
have had 40 or more people, I'm working on a process to get hold on
the most relevant people to the hackathon, while leaving some seats for
everyone interested. More on that later.

Based on the feedback I got after Lancaster, and the experience of past
hackathons, here are some things we are going to try to have:
- a four-day hackathon
- longer access to the venue
- lunch on site
- quick standups
- advance planning for hackathon projects and goals, so as to minimize
   the setup time on site (i.e. people can prepare in advance)
- support for remote participation
- a shared hotel with good wifi and a large lobby for socializing or
   use as an alternative hacking space
- a single large and organized dinner (on either the first or last day)
- a list of preferred restaurants and pubs for evenings and leave it
   to people to self-organize

Publishing the dates and venue early was part of this plan. :-)

--
  Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

  The right answer is worthless with the wrong question!

  • Leon Timmermans at Nov 12, 2013 at 11:56 am

[...]

    Sounds like a great hackathon :-)

    Leon
  • Philippe Bruhat (BooK) at Nov 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm