In accordance with the terms of my grant from TPF this is the monthly
report for my work on improving Devel::Cover covering June 2013.
This month I released Devel::Cover 1.04. The release contains a number of
fixes from last month, along with performance improvements.
The performance improvements are part of work package I started at the end of
May and which continued into the beginning of June. They are primarily
related to the checking of whether or not a file should be reported on for
coverage. This is a relatively expensive operation that has to be performed
frequently. As I mentioned in the previous report, some of this work is done
by a Perl subroutine, and ideally this should be rewritten in XS. I didn't do
that work this month, but instead I focussed on reducing the number of times
that subroutine was called.
Devel::Cover adds quite a performance overhead to running a test suite, and
this is something that discourages its use, so I feel it is important to try
to keep the code as lean as possible.
The other Devel::Cover work from this month was just small fixes in various
Unfortunately, I have been very busy with other work this month, and that is
likely to continue throughout July and August. I'm keen that a large majority
of my grant work should be spent getting to grips with some of the larger
problems that I would otherwise be unable to tackle, and I will probably not
be in a position to tackle such problems until after my other work subsides
somewhat, which should be in September.
You can see the commits at https://github.com/pjcj/Devel--Cover/commits/master
Total hours worked on grant: 275:10
Paul Johnson - firstname.lastname@example.org